How old was your child when you told him/her how babies are made?

My daughter is five. She knows how babies come out, that they grow from an egg inside the mommy, but I have not explained the whole penis inside vagina deal. At what age did tell your child the full story, and how did you explain it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I started talking to them about their bodies when they were five and told them where babies came from when they were ten and we always talked about it. You have to keep talking about from then on.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:07 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My daughter is only 22 months, so I won't be telling her anytime soon.. but I guess I'll tell her whenever she asks. I don't see a point in holding back from her because she's just going to find out from going to school (that's how I found out in elementary school).
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• As soon as they asked the first time, we had an age appropriate conversation. I don't want them to think there is something wrong with that question. My mom always danced around it and it made us feel like it was dirty or something wrong with it. I wanted to make sure that didn't happen with my kids.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:09 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• When they asked. I think it was about age 9
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 11:15 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• She asked at age 3 when her aunt was pregnant. I just put it simply "the daddy's penis goes in the mommy's vagina, his sperm meet her egg, the baby is made and stays in the mommy's belly for 9 months, then comes out."
    She took it just fine.
    I just answer any questions she has when she asks and use the technical terms and just give it to her strait.
    Like Lifes-A-Dance, my mom made it all really bad and would refuse to tell me. I had to find out from a friend when I was 16. No joke, I asked a friend to explain how another friend got pregnant.
    I don't want my kid to have to do that.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:15 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Our son is 5 1/2 and I'm 23 weeks pregnant. He's been asking questions for the past few months and we have been answering them honestly.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• 3 & 4. We just covered this, being I'm pregnant...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Probably 4 or 5, it has been so long that I have forgotten, but when they did, I showed them the photos I had of each of their births and explained the process to fit their understanding.

Answer by older at 2:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Well I did it in steps starting at about 4 with age appropriate content and then the full Monty just a few weeks ago my girls are 8 and 9. They walked in on mommy and daddy so we had to explain somethings and then fix the lock on the bedroom door....lol.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I just had to tell my 8 year old son the facts of life last night. I'm pregnant with my 4th and he asked how the baby got in there and I said what the hell, and simply explained everything to him. He took it well.

With my daughters, they were around 5 or 6 when I told them.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:44 AM on Jul. 5, 2010