Do you think it is appropriate for the conductor of a funeral service to preach to the attendees?

You know, like it could be any one of us, so stop sinning and praise Jesus. Or should he or she have more respect for the bereaved?

Bellarose0212

Asked by Bellarose0212 at 11:33 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Completely inappropriate. There is a time and place for all things and that does NOT belong during funeral services that are supposed to be about honoring the lost loved one.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• The family of the deceased chooses the funeral director and plans the funeral. I think it is appropriate. I guess if you go to a funeral knowing the family is religious, it should not be a surprise if there is a religious message.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• yep, i think it's appropriate, especially if the individual that died was a christian. We just recently had someone pass away at our church, It was a certain illness i can't remember the name of, but she knew her time was soon so she spoke with the pastor and asked him that at her funeral that they celebrate that she's in heaven, not grieving. she asked the pastor to preach to her family that was coming to the funeral, her last chance to witness to them, so to speak. so he did.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I would hope they would do whatever the family wants and needs them to do to help with their grieving. Its about the family, not the people in attendance.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:48 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• If the deceased was religious then you'll get those kind of services. I've been to both religious and non-religious ceremonies. The non-religious didn't have any sort of preaching. When the family discusses funeral services with the director, those sort of things are discussed. Yes, it is appropriate if that is what the family has decided.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• would hope they would do whatever the family wants and needs them to do to help with their grieving. Its about the family, not the people in attendance.

I agree with this.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I actually dont find that disrespectful. I dont go to an over the top church or anything but I see death as a very spiritual occurance. I think that it is pretty appropriate to talk about God, Jesus, Heaven, and even our own deaths at a funeral. It is both a reflective and mourning expieriance.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• We live in the bible belt. Its not a funeral of there isn't a message of repenting. :P
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:35 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• every funeral I have ever been too there was preaching....I think there are so many people who do believe in God in some way and it is a common thing to happen.. I think if a family is that against it they would say something ahead of time..
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:38 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I think the funeral should be spent talking about the life of the dead person. If I wanted to hear preaching, I'd go to church on the preaching days. I hate that. That's how it was during my FIL's funeral and I thought if the guy didn't stop my MIL would go bop him one! She specifically asked that he not shorten FIL's name, and not to preach, but he kept calling him Don instead of Donald and talking about him as if they were old friends and he was doing his buddy a favor by preaching to the people who loved and missed him.
    That's why I'm not having a funeral. I told my husband to prop me in a corner at home and get everyone together to have fun. Anyone starts preaching, kick them out. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 4, 2010