How to get my son to take formula from the bottle?

My son is 2 months old and I have been breast feeding. I am due to return to work in 2 weeks and is having problems getting him to take the formula from the bottle. I find it very uncomfortable to pump milk to the bottle. I need help getting him to take the bottle. Can anyone help me with this?

Brenda644

Asked by Brenda644 at 11:47 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Could he be having nipple confusion? Seems to be the excuse the doctor is giving now days. They like to breast feed and the bottle is so different. You might have to search for a different bottle and nipple until you find one he likes. We also discovered that if someone else besides the mama feeds the baby the bottle, they adjust quicker because they associate you with breast feeding.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 11:51 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Thanks for the answer. My son is so spoiled that my husband is not able to hold him for more than 3 minutes before he starts crying his little heart out. He cries so hard when he tries to feed him but seems to be receptive to the bottle when I try but just will not keep the milk in his mouth. Any good web sites to find different nipples you can think of?
    Brenda644

Comment by Brenda644 (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Are you trying to give him the bottle? I was in the same boat with my son when he was the same age. My husband had to give him the bottle his first few feedings. We also had to try a few different formulas to find one he would take. Good Start worked for us. I started my daughter on the same formula when she was 1 month no problem. Don't get frustrated, it can take a few tries before they take it.
    mommyck

Answer by mommyck at 11:59 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Thanks Mommyck. We are trying to give him the bottle and i am about to send my husband to the store right now.
    Brenda644

Comment by Brenda644 (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I get so frustrated. i get emotional whenever he cries. It makes me wanna cry. My husband says that I spoil him to much because he is not able to pick him up for more than 3 minutes at a time b4 he starts crying. He is my first and I do spoil him but I dont know any other way. He sleeps on my breast when he sleeps and naps. Am I wrong for being like this? Should I be doing something different? I am open to any suggestions.
    Brenda644

Comment by Brenda644 (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Hang in there, it will all work out! There is NO WAY your 3 month old is "spoiled", just not possible!!! A 3 month old needs his mommy, period. Some helpful info at:

Bottle Nipples that Minimize Nipple Confusion or Flow Preference

and

Bottles

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Your spouse needs to give the baby a bottle with you out of sight. The baby should not be starving. It might help if your spouse drapes a tshirt that you have slept in over himself before he picks up the baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Maybe it's not the bottle but the formula that he doesnt like?
    Have you considered pumping while you're at work so he can still have BM?
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• i have heard of moms using dr brown bottles for this
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 9:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Not keeping the milk in his mouth, sounds to me like he might be getting too much formula at once. Make sure your bottle nipples have the newborn hole in them.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 12:46 AM on Jul. 5, 2010