Do you think this is wrong for a mother to do?

For a mother with 3 very young kids to suddenly join the army ( not reserves) ...when there is no father or any one to take care of them ( she only has someone to take care of one of them - a very elder grandmother)... She says she is now ready to take responsibility for her life and children, and I guess she means that by getting paid for it.... but she is going to be leaving her kids with whoever she can find for almost a year at a time.....I guess i just dont understand how THAT is taking responsibility...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Honestly, I could not do that, but if this is the only way someone can see to find a way to make a future for herself and her children, then maybe she feels like that is her only option?
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:53 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Sometimes you got to do what you got to do, but in this case she is putting $ over nurturing, but it is really hard to do one without the other. She probably feels she will providing for them financially and kids definitely need that, she probably feels stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Answer by older at 11:57 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• If you have very little options then yes it can be responsible. A single mom of three with little education cannot provide good healthcare for them or her, can't say for sure where they will live next month if rent goes up again, and has to monitor snacking because they just might run out of food before the PA card let's her shop again. So yes I can see how providing tricarecas insurance will look attractive, your salary is a steady income ( but sadly too low still) and there is a plan in plce if you have no one for your kids. The military does have a plan for kids who have no other caregiver while a pArent is training. It may be foster care but she will have them again when she returns. Foster care with parents who honor your parent for serving and keep kids together are a blessing.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:59 AM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Don't judge.
    We all do the best we can with what we have. Perhaps it is the best choice for her. Perhaps she has discipline problems and is late to work so she gets fired. Maybe she has realized her faults and acknowledges that the military can change them. The benefits for the family is pretty good.
    If i were single mother, (instead of a military wife) i could see how many aspects of the military life would look appealing. Especially in today's economy.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:06 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• She may feel it is her only option. I wouldn't be able to do it. I couldn't NOT see my kids every single day and I know I couldn't trust them to someone else's care for that long.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 12:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I don't think she can. Read this response.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• That's what I thought, musicmom. She can't enlist if she's the sole support and custodial caregiver for her children.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 1:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I couldn't do it. I bet those kids will miss their Mom & kids grow up so fast.
    reesemom

Answer by reesemom at 3:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010