How to potty train a three year old?

preemiemom02007

Asked by preemiemom02007 at 11:58 AM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just start!! Put him in REAL underwear and start putting him on the potty every hour. When he wets his pants, tell him he is supposed to do that in the potty, grab him and run to the bathroom and put him on the toilet. Remind him that he needs to tell you when he has to go or take himself. Praise him if any of it makes it in the toilet. After a few days or weeks of extra laundry, he will probably start to get it!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 12:06 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I had SUCH a difficult time potty training my daughter! She would tell me when she had to go, but REFUSED to use the toilet. So, after a few weeks of struggling [i even sat sobbing on the bathroom floor once, lol. i was very pregnant and emotional, tho.] I decided to just let it go. Then, one day, we went to the store and she wanted Dora fruit snacks. I allowed her to have ONE envelope while we were at the store. She begged and cried for more in the car, and it was VERY difficult, lol, but I stayed strong. Then, when we got home, she asked me for Dora snacks again. I told her, "You may not have any Dora snacks unless you use the potty first." Her response? "NO!" Lol, "Well, no Dora snacks, then." About two hours later, she asked for them again. "You may not have any Dora snack unless you use the potty first." This time? "Okay, Mommy, let's go potty!" And the rest is history! :)
    JessicaG45342

Answer by JessicaG45342 at 12:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My son was stubborn. So I let him literally tell me when he was ready. Hey he potty trained at 3 years, 2months. He also 100% pt within 2 weeks.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:42 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• My oldest was the eayest she told me one day she wanted panties an she never had an accident. She still wore diapers at night then one night she said NO I don't a diaper an well the rest is history she has NEVER had an accident. Now my Youngest DD she is almost 3 and well no go and no such luck... Sigh every kid is different.
    Younganproud

Answer by Younganproud at 2:10 AM on Jul. 5, 2010