Do I need to put sunscreen on my 2 month old at the beach?

We have a beach house. Not that my daughter will be out in the direct sun sunbathing, but if I am holding her on the deck or playing with my son on the beach under an umbrella she may get a little sun. Should I still put sunscreen on her or is she too little?

mommyck

Asked by mommyck at 12:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yea,the sunrays will be bouncing off the sand and deck ,so definetly put sunscreen on your baby.
    phall1069

Answer by phall1069 at 12:09 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• A little sun won't hurt her at all, infact it's her greatest source of vitamin D.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:09 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Truthfully a baby that young should not be out in direct sun, at all. They have very sinsetive skin. Why not leave her indoors?

Answer by louise2 at 12:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Yes, they make sunscreen for infants. You do not want to take a chance shre will get even the slightest burn. I'm sure you will keep her in the shade and protected but it doesn't hurt to be sure.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I think it's important to put sunscreen on infants. I never used to believe in this thinking till I started reading about the harmful effects of the sun on skin in general. You don't want your baby/child to end up with skin cancer for not being protected from the harmful rays of the sun. It's really a preventative measure.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Actually, I wouldn't put sunscreen on any baby younger than 6 months. I would keep her covered in lightweight clothing and keep her under an umbrella or shade with a hat. I took my son to the beach at 3 months old, he did not wear sunscreen and he was kept covered as well...he never really got any sun, maybe a tiny amount but, it was a healthy amount. No burn for him.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• If her skin is exposed yes. If you can keep her covered with light weight/light colored clothing and a hat then that would be better.

Yes, I'm aware of the necessity of vit D exposure for health, but the kind of continuous exposure one get at the beach could cause more harm than good in the case of a sunburn.

I live in south Texas. The only times my children have worn sunblock this summer is at the pool and a picnic  where they spent most of the time in the strong sun.

happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 12:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• You can get sunblock without chemicals but you will probably have to get it at a vitamin shop or health food store. I've found that Loving Naturals (a "1") is the best price per ounce.

www.ewg.org
    happytexasCM

• 100% yes i do
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 12:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• No sun screen until after 6 months of age!!!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:24 PM on Jul. 4, 2010