How should I tell my husband that there's really only one name I will consider for this baby?

I'm 35 1/2 weeks pregnant and until now my husband has REFUSED to discuss baby names with me. We have a girl's name picked out, but nothing for a boy and we don't know the gender of the baby.

Today is the day he said he would help me pick a boy's name. We HAD one picked out a while ago, but he changed his mind on it. The thing is, it's the ONLY name I can see giving this baby if it's a boy. It just... fits. I know my babies before they are born, and I just can't see another name for this child.

He's not going to have any suggestions of his own, either. He's basically going to sit there and veto everything I say lol.

He's not dead set against the name I want, he's just kinda on the fence about it. How do I tell him that it's that name or nothing? :p

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It's something you have to discuss and decide together. I just went through the same thing with my husband. We never agree on baby names, but we were able to come to an agreement and compromise for our baby on the way.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:24 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• You have to remember that this is his child too. I understand you have strong feelings about this but go about it with an open mind. I can imagine how bad you would feel if he said there would only be one acceptable name for the child and you weren't completely sure. Give and take...
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 12:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Just tell him the name you picked out is going to either be the childs first or middle name. Know matter what.

Answer by louise2 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• When I got pregnant with my third I knew I was going to use the name Bailey. I basically told hubby that's how it was and there was no debate. If he doesn't hate the name then just tell him that's what it's going to be. It would be different if he hated it.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Once you see your baby in your arms you may have a different opinion on the name.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 12:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• You don't make ultimatums that's for sure. I compromise with my DH all the time, I mean ALL THE time. I let him have exactly what he wants when it really doesn't matter to me. I just let him think he is getting to decide. I always tell him there will come a time when it is his turn to compromise, that's when I play my card. My DH had his heart set on a name for DD, that is her middle name. You know why? Because I refused toname her that.
    TheTaoOfKim

Answer by TheTaoOfKim at 12:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I could feel the presence of each of my children and their names came to me. I knew exactly what they wanted to be called before they were born. Try suggesting a bunch of really goofy names first just for fun and then tell him the one you chose and why. Try reminding him that you are better at these things than he is. Try reminding him that he will never see you naked again if he doesn't agree. That will shut him up. ha ha Im just kidding. Just talk it out until he agrees with you.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 12:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My husband pulled that crap with our 4th so I quit consulting him and named the baby whatever I wanted.  I was the one that was in constant pain and had to have major surgery.  he was the one being a dick for 9 months.  He had his chance to discuss it and chose to not participate or be a jerk and just say "no" to everything I suggested without condiseration.  I just got tired of it.  She was born and I named her what I wanted.  He wasn't even there (he was at home or out eating or something with our other kids).  He told me yesterday that he accepted it because she was named after my dead mother and my aunt.  I told him he had his chance and if he was going to be that way with this baby I would do the same thing.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:42 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Me and my husband take turns picking names. If either of us are dead set against a name then it wouldn't be used for the child. So far we have picked good names I think.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:43 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I'm in the exact same situation! I just told him the name I picked and that was it lol I get my way unless its a weird name that he could get made fun of in school later on.....
    sierranavada

Answer by sierranavada at 1:03 PM on Jul. 4, 2010