does or did your reflux baby sleep on their back?

My DS had/has reflux but in the last few weeks it almost seems like it is gone. I have also noticed that he is way happier flat on his back instead of his inclined bed. Is it safe to let him lay flat now?

staciaw

Asked by staciaw at 12:48 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 100%
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 12:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My son has reflux horribly. We elevated one side of the crib and he either slept on his back or on his side. He also took Zantac. It's safe for them to be on their backs, but the incline always helped keep my son from refluxing.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• my son has always slept on his back and it does seem to help with the reflux
    baby1mom

Answer by baby1mom at 12:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• ok, he is on prevacid but I just dropped it from twice a day to once a day and he seems to be doing great, JUst wasn't sure if I should try the back sleeping or not yet.
    staciaw

Comment by staciaw (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My son had reflux and slept in his carseat for 3 months.  It was the only place he wouldn't scream.  But then around that time I noticed he stopped fussing while having his diaper changed or when lying on the floor for whatever reason so we experimented with how long he could tolerate being on his back and at what times during the day.  By 4 months he was out of the carseat and sleeping on his back or side (he was rolling by then).  His reflux seemed to clear up after that (he wasn't throwing up as much) and he was never on medication for it.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:09 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• my son slept/sleeps on his side, he puked A LOT. Now he rolls and tosses and turns in his sleep so he sleeps however he wants now. the puking got better around 5months
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:13 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My daughter had reflux and was on zantac. She slept on her side most of the time. Once she hit about 3 months, she always rolled to her stomach. Her vomiting started going away around 6 months...but for her, until then , sleeping on her back was a big no.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• my refulx baby slept on my chest until 7 months old. if he did sleep it was on an incline and not for long.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 8:09 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Mine slept in a swing until we started treating it (around 5 mo.) and then started sleeping in his crib. He rolls over onto his side to sleep though.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My son had severe reflux and microaspiration. They wanted me to buy a very expensive Wedge, No thanks. I just lay him up right on a pillow and it definitely helps along with his Prilosec. I didn't know he had the reflux until we went in for the other issue. SO although your baby may like laying on his back, I would continue to keep him upright, because those gas/juices burn.
    mommy25791317

Answer by mommy25791317 at 3:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2010