What is your first thought you when see a child acting out in a public place?

I had posted this before, but some voted down when someone gave an honest answer of "Control your child"--that's not nasty or disrespectful, it is honest. I want honest responses. Please do not vote anyone down on this. (by the way, I voted anyone up that was honest and got a vote down) I am asking for a reason. If you think -"Wow, some people really need to take a parenting class" Please feel free to say so. I want an honest response. Also, feel free to give reasons/scenerios.

Yes, I have an autistic child, but I am not going to preach on this. I am a teacher of kids with social/emotional disorder.

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think anything of it until I see the parent give in and give the kid stuff or what they wanted just to get them to stop. Then I think that the parent has lost all control and wonder what else the kid will get away with as it gets older.
    I know all kids act up from time to time, but it's the parents that say "if you stop crying, we'll get a toy" or something like that just bug me for some reason.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Im glad its not mine at the time. Becuase trust me, she has had her temper tantrums out in public
    livingrlovesong

Answer by livingrlovesong at 12:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• "Whp taught that kid to act like that?"
    That is honestly what I think because children who throw tantrums in public are often doing it because it works for them at home. I also hate that you often see parents of those children yelling back, cussing, hitting the kids. It is no wonder that they act like a barbarian...look at how the parent is acting.

Sometimes the child is just grumpy or has autism or something else where they arent doing it on purpose. But you asked for my first thought so...my first thought isnt as empathetic.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Honestly, my first thought is "wow I feel bad for that mom"
    We've all been there, even the most well behaved kids have their moment - they are kids!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• They sure are having a bad day.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Ditto what sabrina said.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 1:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I usually think "poor mom".
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Depends on the age of the child and situation at hand. If it's a child under 5, I do not think anything about it. of course, a surly, insolent teen, evokes a different response.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I usually feel bad for the parent. Been there, too many times to count.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Thank god it isn't my kid this time. My kids have been hyper brats lately and have been acting out horribly. So anytime it isn't my kid I'm happy.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2010