My Son Refuses To Use The Potty Please Help!

Hi I have a 2yr old boy he will be 3 in november I know he is ready to use the potty for he lets me or his dad know when he has already done either number 1 or 2 in his diaper/pull-up but he absloutely refuses to use the potty I have tryed all sorts of diffrent things with him I have even tryed to put fruit loops in the toliet and told him to stand there and pee on them nothing has worked for me this is my 1st child and I know from what I am told it takes longer to train a boy then a girl but I am out of ideas and sitting there and having to keep changing diapers because they are not like he was when he was a baby there worse and my stomach turns when I have to change a number 2 diaper/pull-up and I really wanted to start him in preschool this year and due to the fact that he is not potty trainned I can not due to the fact of that if anyone has a little boy and might happen to have a few pointers on how to potty please help

proudmom4cj

Asked by proudmom4cj at 1:12 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 1. You cant force it so stop trying.
    2. If you can get him to sit on the toilet then do so every hour or so for a couple mins...get him used to it and dont make it scary. If he seems scared or worried then hold off for another week or two before attempting again.
    3. Boys do tend to take longer to train so just because he tells you when he goes doesnt mean he is ready to train.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• with my oldest boy no one gave me any good advice so I did it my own way and for a day straight I watched him closly to see where he went off by himself to do his buisness in his pullup. than the next mornig i went to wall mart and let him pick out his own big boy underwear and potty chair. when we got home we put his potty chair the place he did his buisness the most and after about two days of my supporting him and reminding him that he was a big boy when I noticed that he was going To His Spot but not using the potty chair i asked him if there was a reason why he wasn't? and he was so sweet he told me he didn't want me to have to clean the potty so i explained that I would rather clean his potty than his pullup. after that he started going number 2 in the potty and when He finally started doing number one in there, he asked me if he could take it in to the toilet and dump it himself, so he felt bigger and I let him than whe
    MBax

Answer by MBax at 2:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Wait three months, and try again

Answer by rkoloms at 4:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• The only thing that worked for my son was putting him in regular underwear so he could feel the wetness. Putting pull ups on him was no different than a diaper and he really didn't care. I also would start out say 9am. Have him try to go, then if he didn't try again at 10. If he still didn't 10:45, then 11:15, basically an hour, then 45 minutes, 30 minutes 15, etc. It ended up working in 3 days to get him done. Boys do take longer and if you have a stubborn child it is harder. Good luck.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 5:03 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I would wait a little while and try again. When I was trying to potty train my daughter, at first she would scream and throw a fit when I would put her on the potty. So I asked her pediatrician what I could do, and she said to wait at least a month and then try again. During the time you are waiting, put the potty away. Dont mention it, or encourage the child to go on it. When I tried again, after waiting a little while, then it worked and she was potty trained.
    dakajazz23

Answer by dakajazz23 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• it really sounds like he is not ready.
    like others have said, stop trying for a while, and try again later.
    does he wake up dry in the morning?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• We had similar problems with our son who turned 3 in April. Here's what we did. Once a day we tried to get him to sit and pee on the potty (we tried right before bath, after dinner). If he didn't want to sit, we gave up and tried again the next night. When we got tot he point when he'd sit and usually pee, we started training. For the first two days, we let him go without
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2010