how do you feel about kids being on adult social networks?

i have been seeing more and more post about kids as young as 6 being on facebook. is it just me or is this just wrong? there are social networks like build a bear ville and barbie.com available for kids. why do you need to lie about age and be on sites with sometimes very adult content? what do you think?

chris13

Asked by chris13 at 1:20 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It doesn't affect me. If the parents think it's okay for their children, that's their choice, I'm sure they have their reasons.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Yes, it is wrong.. All kinds of pedophiles and weirdos out there. They should make one especially for kids 13 and under. with some stringent verification of some sort. I don't think it's wrong for kids to use things like that, but when it's made for adults they shouldn't be using it.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Well, I don't think of FB as an "adult" social site. It's for all ages. Now, if they were on CafeMom, where I would assume you were a mom, I would be a little weirded out, just because how is a 6yo a mom? But if I see them on myspace or facebook or any of the other sites I'm on that aren't strictly about adult subjects (parenting, work, marriage...) I don't think anything of it... I think it's a great way for them to keep in touch with friends, family and even a great way for their parents to keep an eye on what is really going on in their life, how do they really feel about things... I don't see any reason why it's bad or wrong.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• i totally agree with you kids dont need to be on facebook or myspace or any of those sites but then you sitthere and wonder what are the parents doing to stop this from happening or if its happening in school makes you wonder how well the teachers are watching the kids if it were my child there would be prental blocks everywhere
    proudmom4cj

Answer by proudmom4cj at 1:28 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I don't think they belong on any networking site.  They should have relationships in real life, not the virtual world.  Especially with everyone freaking out over obese kids now a days.

My kids are 10, 8, 7 and 4 and they aren't even allowed to touch the computers at home.  They sure aren't on any networking sites.  And even ones geared towards kids are going to be filled with creeps.  There is no way to keep over aged people off those sites.  My 10yo likes to try and sneak on my FB but only so she can play the games I have bookmarked.  She pays no attention to anything else...but also gets in trouble every time she is caught.  She doesn't belong there.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I find it weird anyone would let a kid as young as 6 interact with adults over the internet when they should be around kids there own age! no way My daughters will be on Facebook or any other social network soon until they are old enough and responsible enough its just weird and wrong in so many ways... :(
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 1:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My DD has a FB and both of my older kids use it. I monitor it and her friends are her friends and our family.
    azpreemiemom

Answer by azpreemiemom at 1:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• That is just scary. Where are the parents? Setting up the account? How about the pedophiles that peruse those sites and others. Why must we shove everything down a kid's throat at so young an age? Appalling to me. And what benefit to them?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Personally I'm not okay with it, and I don't add any relatives under 18 to my FB page for one reason: I post breastfeeding info and sometimes pics or videos I find interesting, and they aren't kid-friendly. I've had to explain to parents once or twice why I'm not letting their children "friend" me, and usually they are cool with it. I also don't have any of DH's youth group on my FB page for basically the same reason. If you have to lie to be on a site, you shouldn't be on it. There is a reason for the age guidelines.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:14 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• For me....it is against their Terms of Service and parents that allow it are allowing their children to CHEAT and LIE and that is a lesson that parents should NOT be teaching their children! TOS for Facebook is 13. My youngest son STILL doesn't have a Facebook page because he will not be 13 for a few more weeks. TOS for MySpace is 14. Those ages were chose for a reason and the TOS should be adhered to.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2010