Does using the word "cheap" make you sound low class?

So I used the word "cheap" in a conversation the other day, to describe an awesome recipe that I had came across. I was speaking with my MIL and SIL. They acted shocked and said never to use the word cheap like that, because it makes you sound low class and like you dont have money. They said to use the words "less costly" or "reasonable". Financially, my family, my MIL and my SIL are all on the same level, I think you would consider it working middle class. So what do you think? Do you think using that word makes you sound low class?

dakajazz23

Asked by dakajazz23 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, but telling someone not to use it because it "makes you sound low class" sounds really insecure and overly obsessed with impressing others. I get the impression that if they were in the same room with any of the women I know who have 6 figure incomes and happily use the word cheap they'd be too intimidated to say anything about it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I think if someone is going to judge you based on a proper usage of an English word they have more issues than class!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Hmm nope. I think you shouldn't worry about it. People who worry so much about their speech are putting on airs.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 1:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Not at all. I will gladly say something is cheap. Always have.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I dont think that saying cheap should make anyone sounds like they are low class for I think everyone out there always loves to find a bargain on something to save a couple bucks here or there and if they think saying cheap make you look like your a lower class then they need to stop judgeing you
    proudmom4cj

Answer by proudmom4cj at 1:24 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• even higher classed people like to shop cheap.... that just sounds dumb to say less costly, thats what would make up sound cheap lol
    sierranavada

Answer by sierranavada at 1:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Most of the people who say things like "low cost" or "more reasonably priced" are just like the people who use huge words when a simpler one would have worked just as well. They are just trying to seem better to people than they see themselves to be.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• This is FUNNY!

I worked in a high end department store once. I answered the phones and directed calls. On my first day answering the phones somebody called and asked for "makeup". So I paged for "makeup" line 2. My direct boss about had a heart attack. Then for the rest of the day all of the managers came over and schooled me on the different acceptable department names. lol

You should have seen them the day the costodian paged overhead for "pantyhose line 1". All if the managers RAN to the office to correct him.

Some people have weird notions about words. I guess if you are associating with their cronies, you better start using their lingo.

MillyPontipee

Answer by MillyPontipee at 1:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Ummmm never thought about it I say no! I use the word alot and its not a word that makes me feel low class at all :)
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 1:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I say cheap. if someone says 'reasonable' to me, then to me that means it was on the high side, but it was worth it.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2010