Can you list your Mommy Experience on your resume...? :)

To be honest with you all, I have less than zero interest in finding a job outside of my home, lol. However, due to my lack of financial stability, it's a necessary evil. My resume is a little... Outdated, I guess. I had a pretty good job for a while, but I left for personal reasons [i'll tell you if you're curious, but i won't bore you if you don't care lol], and that's the most recent thing on my resume. Should I list the things I've learned during my SAHM tenure? I don't have a lot of traditional education or work experience. If you're someone who works in HR, what's your suggestion? :)

JessicaG45342

Asked by JessicaG45342 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• Stay at home moms have lots of skills that employers value: budgeting, time management, logistics, etc. Chances are, you have also gained some skills and experience doing volunteer work.

I recommend having at least two versions of your resume, geared towards different types of positions and companies, with and without your stay-at-home experience.

I do career and job search coaching; I am always happy to help CafeMoms with resumes, coverletters, job search strategy and interview prep.

Feel free to contact me with any questions (I don't charge CafeMoms for my services)

Answer by rkoloms at 7:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I brought it up in an interview when the person asked why she should hire me since I hadn't worked for three years. I told her I was going to be the most patient, level headed person there since I dealt with my kid day in and day out. Mom's can't loose their cool. I told her I could handle my self well under pressure, when the shit hit the fan, I would be right under it cleaning it up.
    :-) I got the job!
    I did hiring for a job for a while, and one woman put something like that on her application under the last job part, she put her son as her boss, her qualities as a mom under skills, and "lots of hugs" under pay. I loved it! And she was one of the hardest workers there.
    I think it depends on the job you are applying for, some will want something more serious, and some will like the creative part of it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I would list any thing you organized or were an ongoing part of: committees at school, room parent, moms groups or other associations.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 1:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I don't work in HR, but I would write your resume in a way that doesn't emphasize dates, and put in a "skills" section in which you can emphasize everything you've done as a SAHM -- time management, budgeting, mediation, etc.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Sure!  I read an article about that here:  How to Find Work Experience as a Stay at Home Mom

I like the ideas to put on your resume!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I'm looking for a job as well because of financial issues, even though both dh and I want me to stay home with the kids at this young of an age. it wasn't until kindergarten for my youngest was i going to start looking. but i like the idea of putting cute things on there, i'm looking at one now that might like that. not sure though, i'll have to talk with dh about it. thanks for the ideas, and m-avi i'll check out that article in a bit. thanks :)
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Absolutely. You should put down ALL skills you have. Many of the skills we acquire that make us excellent outside the home workers we obtained by being moms. Listing skills is vital on a resume. Go to an unemployment office or see if there is free help online but they know how to tweak a resume using skills not just work outside the home experience.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:03 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I think only if you are applying for a day care position or something of that sorts. Just put on your resume what's applicable for the position.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2010