best age to start potty training?

My son is now 13 months old and I would like to know whats the best age to start trying to potty training? Is it to early to get a potty chair now?

sierranavada

Asked by sierranavada at 1:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is 2 1/2 years old and he still is not potty trainned nor do i think he is ready yet he shows no signs of being intrested even though he lets me and his father know when he messes his diaper
    proudmom4cj

Answer by proudmom4cj at 1:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I was just reading about it. The book says there are certain signs they have that tells you when. And it said they dont usually have them till atleast 20 months. My son is 12 months and i know theres no way he could comprehend that right now.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• 2, if they're interested. 2 1/2 is the best time though. at age 2 i introduced it, put ds on it every now and then. at 2 1/2 i put my foot down and trained him. dd is turning 2 this month, she's already a bit interested in it cuz she see's ds do it, so i started her a little earlier, about a month ago. she sits on it and has gone once or twice, but when she's 2 1/2, unless she has the signs she's ready before, then i'll put my foot down then. ds was in underwear in 4 days, not telling me when he has to go until recently, but it cuz pull up cost cuz he was only wearing them at night. and still does until we move into our own house and then i'll night train him.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My daughter is 20 months and she will sit on her potty but she has yet to go in it. She has already pointed at her diaper and told me "I pooped" but she's not ready for potty training yet.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• It's never too early to get it, and introduce it. We got one for her first birthday. :-)
    She didn't use it until she was 2 1/2 and decided she was ready.
    I say let them know what it's for then let them take the lead. Once she decided she was ready, she just put on panties and that was that, no accidents.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• sorry, it cut pull up cost, not cuz lol. to the first PP, showing you that he went in his diaper IS a sign.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• You're going to get a huge range of answers to this one as the subject of potty training brings out all kinds of ideas and attitudes. I'll state right here that, as a child developmental consultant in my working life, I'm on the side of developmental readiness. SOME children are easily trained from 18 months to 2 years and SOME children are reluctantly "encouraged" by 3 - 3.5, even as late as 4. It depends on the child. Some very bright, very independant fellows can be the last to be trained, some are the first. It has no bearing on intelligence or the abilities of the parent. I personally held off until my boys were absolutely ready to go (but I did lay a lot of groundwork). Both were trained around 3. IMO, 13 months is waaaay too early. I know lots of people who start early and are training FOREVER with unhappiness on everyone's part. I started late, and it took a week or 2 with happy kids. Your choice....
    LisaLulu

Answer by LisaLulu at 1:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• In the child psychology portion of my studies I read that at 18months the sphincter and mental awareness is developed enough to begin potty training. But then you have to mix in the desire to potty train. So anytime after 18mos, when your child shows interest then you may begin potty training effectively.

The reason a sphincter needs to be developed is thats what makes the urine stop and go, and at 18months a child's mind is able to gage that. Now you may start before, but it may be tougher. More wet undies and beds. So if at 13 months ur son is interested in the potty maybe try, getting a potty and tell him each time he goes, go sit on the potty, with diaper on, that way he can learn and there is no psychological pressure to develop passed his capabilities.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• my grandmother raised 13 children, and she potty trained when the child consistently woke up dry.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:28 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Honestly I think the best age to start potty training is any time AFTER 2. Some kids need a little extra time after that, but some dont. The most important sign I look for, is when my child wakes up completely dry after naps and night. Once they do that, its an indication that they can hold urine in their bladder for an extended amount of time, which makes potty training so much easier.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 8:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2010