Fla. School Sued for Banning Bible Distribution - What are your thoughts?

For years, the Collier County School District allowed World Changers to offer Bibles to interested students during non-school hours on Jan. 16 in honor of Religious Freedom Day. But since last year, the superintendent and the Community Request Committee have refused to grant permission to the Southern Baptist Convention-related mission group to do so.

School officials claim Bibles do not provide any educational benefit to the students and thus distribution should stop.

What do you think? Link Below...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• SabrinaMBowen

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I am not religious, and that is my choice, and I like being able to choose for myself. School is no place for religion, maybe have a church give them out instead?
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 1:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• They were only being given to the students who requested them. They weren't being given to everyone, and it was only on 1 day a year after school hours in celebration of religious freedom day...

I found it amusing that a school which has a celebration for "religious freedom day" would then disallow the bible to be shared with those who were interested...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• You have great questions today :)
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I agree w/ Sabrina. As long as it was after school hours and given only to students requesting them I don't see what the problem was. They weren't shoving the bibles down their throats for God's sake!
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 1:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• HaHa, giggle, you see what boredom and a migraine does to me?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I personally feel like the school has the right to refuse the presence of any person not affiliated with the school for any reason. But I do believe that they SHOULD have allowed the distribution, especially in celebration of religious freedom. Kind of hypocritical, I think. I will admit, though I didn't read the link, so I'm not sure what they're reasoning was - I do believe if they refused because not all faiths/texts were going to be represented that would be reasonable. But I'm guessing their reason wasn't very reasonable, or else it wouldn't have gotten so much attention...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I think this is the downside of allowing ANY outside group to do things at public schools - there is a line that has become so blurred you can't find it anymore. That group has a right to hand out bibles to anyone. That group does NOT have the right to be present on school grounds for any reason. Refusing the privilege to be on school grounds is not infringing on the right to hand out bibles.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:12 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• lol I think NP is right about the blurred line. If you dont mind me pointing out, in your other question about bible on the shelfs, people are ok with that but you are going to have people in this question say religion and church dont mix. ?????? I understand distribution and the choice to seek are different. KWIM?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I agree with NP!

Answer by older at 2:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2010