Should public school libraries have a bible on the shelf?

What about the Quran? Or any book from or about religion? Should Public schools give students access to religious materials at all?

Why or Why not...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would say that would be ok, because it would be up to the students whether or not they wanted to check it out and read it.
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I think they should have excess to all religious forms. Why because some times school is a safe haven for kids who's parents are over religious and this can give them insight to new forms and paths to god without being in fear!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Well, if they could have books on every single religion and lack of religion, then it would be okay. Like PP said, it would be the kid's choice whether they would read it or not.
    But, I don't see them putting up books on every belief out there, so I would say no until that could happen.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• For me, I believe they should. I'm a fan of the idea of a "world religion" or even "general religion" class for highschool students. I feel it would go along way to help people learn to accept one another's beliefs. However, I can guarantee my mother would disagree. I was not permitted to read about other religions (beyond what she told me) so I went to school to research my own path. I'm saddened that anyone would have to hide that kind of thing from a parent, but I feel that as long as it's not being pushed - the books are simply available like in a regular library - it's then up to the student to seek out and not the school pushing religion.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• First off I am not religious at all. Now to answer your question. Yes, as long as there is access to all religious texts because to deny it would go against freedom of speech and freedom of religion. Two of the big 10 constitution rights that first started this country. But then I don't agree with the banned book list either.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 1:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• As long as students are not forced to read any particular book I don't see the problem.
    jamesmommy512

Answer by jamesmommy512 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Good question. Hmmmm what would this say about separation of church and state though? Im pretty neutral to things things because it doesnt matter if its there, I will teach my child reguardless.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:46 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I grew up in a tiny little school in the middle of the "Bible Belt". I remember looking through books and finding the Q'uran when I was in middle school. I'm sure there were other religious texts there are well. I don't see any harm in it, and I am non-theistic. As long as they are not being selectively promoted I see no harm.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 1:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I think they should
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 1:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I think their should be a section with religious texts of all kinds. People still read them as literature and it never hurts to learn about other's beliefs. As long as they choose the book it should be ok. I'm an atheist by the way.
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 1:53 PM on Jul. 4, 2010