Im sick of it!!!

Im sick of people Treating my son like crap! They treat my daughter soo soo good and im not mad at that shes a good kid, but when it comes to my son they like to be so cold and mean to him, He is 4 and is Moderate mentally retarded and autistic. He is hyper and sometimes out of control. He has a very hard time listening and understanding, He does strange body movement and so on and so on, but he cant help it! But they treat him so dif than my daughter! My poor lil guy has so much trouble making friends, we were at the park the other day and they threw rocks at him and called him retard, My mil and fil, (step grandparents) will go out and buy stuff for shayla and just pretend my son is not even there. He prob dont understand now but im sure he will when he gets older. It breaks my heart for him! After the park i came home and cried my eyes out for him! What are ppl like this? He is only 4!

DeeMarie87

Asked by DeeMarie87 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• That is so wrong. I cannot believe how cruel people can be.. And it is one thing for hateful strangers to be mean to him at the park, but for your own in laws to treat him like that is totally unacceptable. Has your husband told them that if they are going to do for one they need to do for both? Because that is HIS job to talk to his parents about how cruel their behavior is. I really don't have any answers other than just hang in there and love that little guy and seek out support groups and childrens activities for kids with similar challenges to his.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• people are terribly cruel. I can't stand that people are like this. my 6 year old has a habbit of winning or talking in baby talk or even in other voices that he makes up and he gaot teased alot last year in school and it does just break a mother's heart to see it and the pain on our children that goes along with it. as for the part with the grandparents. before my mother in law got sick and than passedaway. she used to buys my oldest son all kinds of stuff and just forget my yooungest son so one day after seeing the hurt in Kailin's eyes for what I decided to be the last time I sent the boys out to play and sat down with her and told her as polite as I could that if she couldn't spoil both my kids that I would like it better if she didn't spoil either of them. It went better after that
    MBax

Answer by MBax at 1:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I'm sorry. That is so sad. I always tend to gravitate toward the "underdog". So does my little boy. He loves any kid no matter what they are like.Some people are just jerks. I would speak up though about the family. They probably think they can get away with it because "he doesn't know any better" in their eyes.
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 1:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Im so sorry hon, CM has a great support group for moms of special needs kids. Imagine being able to talk to another mom who is going through the exact same thing you are! I agree with KT, find a support group in your area and get son involved in childrens activities for kids with simular challenges.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I don't have an autistic child, but i can understand your frustration. just reading that makes me mad and sad. mad because of the other parents not interfering with their children's actions. what kind of crud is that?? sad because it breaks your heart and your ds my not show it but it probly does hurt his feeling a bit too. he may not understand what's going on, but he probly knows he doesn't like it and doesn't give him a good feeling. as for your family, i don't understand how they can even do that! you would think....gggrrr....with them i'd just put my foot down and say if they want to see either one of their kids, they have to treat BOTH of them the same way. seriously. my MIL has done a couple of things and i wouldn't have to, DH would just say if you want to see them again don't do it again...now she knows better. her 9yr old scared my son to death, dh said do it again and we won't be back. she got on him hard lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I am so sorry people act that way. There is no excuse. I would tell your MIL & FIL to please think of their other grandchild next time they go shopping for your daughter or else do not buy anything at all. That just is not right. Whether he understands it right now or not- you and your daughter do.

The incident at the park: Were the parents there? If so I would approach them next time and let them know they need to teach their kids that assault and harassment are not okay, and if they can't sort it out then juvenile authorities can next time they throw rocks and call names.

I'm so sorry. I know it's hard.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2010