First time gardener! Need some advice

I live in North Carolina and I'd like to plant some flowers in tubs this summer. What kind of plants work best at this time of year? Thanks

TopBrit

Asked by TopBrit at 1:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Hello!
    Personally, I don't buy any annuals. I only buy perennials. I just don't see the benefit of planting everything all over again next year. Perennials will come back on their own. It will say on the tag which it is.

As far as what to plant, it just depends on what you like. Go look around a local greenhouse or even a Lowe's Garden Center and see what looks good to you. Good luck.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• my favorites are stargazer lilys, heliatrope, grape hyacinth, gladioalas, and any mix that attracts dragon flies
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 2:06 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I think the easiest flower to grow are petunias. The have a nice sweet smell and work well in tubs.
    Petunias Pictures, Images and Photos
    I would buy some Miricle Grow potting soil, it fertilizes them for you.
    MillyPontipee

Answer by MillyPontipee at 2:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My favorite thing to do for this is to head to the back of my local Lowe's garden area where they place plants that need some loving for 50% off. Repotting and watering are usually all they need. Petunias are great for the summer. So are zinnias, marigolds, Lantana, cockscomb, impatients, begonias....all good in containers.
    Good luck!!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2010