If anyone has a Siberian Husky or Husky, I have a few questions about them?

Why do people say they are difficult dogs?
and are they wolves of some kind?
Ithink they are beautiful and intelligent i would like to get one someday.. and i was wondering about them ive read they are difficult dogs but what do they mean by "difficult" and i heard they are hard to train but why?

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Pets

• I know that one thing that is difficult about them is that they have been bred to run (and run and run-think dog pulling a sled for miles across the snow). If they get out they just take off and keep going, and it is next to impossible to break them of this as it is just how they are. You need a good sized yard for them to run around in and a really good fence.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• They are VERY smart and stubborn. They are high energy to the point that they need an owner who can meet their needs, and not many people are prepared to keep up with a dog that is born to run for miles and miles at one time. They need constant work and stimulation and can be very mischevious when they become bored. They are indeed beautiful and loyal and can be a great family pet but they are not for everyone.
    If you are considering getting one contact a rescue for info and to visit with them and learn as much as you can to see if they might be the right dog for you.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:50 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I guess this is going to sound corny. I have never owned one,I have welsh corgis. I overheared a guy talking about them,he said that he was the first breeder in the state of Indiana. He said that he loved the breed but could not suggest them for ppl w/children. IDK,ppl had said that about corgis and my family has found them to be the perfect breed for us. You should read as much as you can about them and talk w/some ppl that have them. GL
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 12:38 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• They are high energy, they can be very stubborn, they are smart but not know for being obedient, they are MAJOR escape artists, they can be annoyingly vocal, they can be difficult to motivate for training, I think leash training can be more difficult because they have been bred to pull for so long... They are not much closer to wolves than most Nordic breeds. I definitely wouldn't recommend one as a 1st time dog for an inexperienced owner.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:59 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• VERY high energy. And VERY talkative (not just barking.. I mean talking.. lol.. think of howling, with yodeling mixed in). they are obedient, but you have to put in the time and energy. They work for food! LOL They are very stubborn, but so loving. Yes, if they get loose, they will run, but if you exercise them and play them enough, it shouldn't be a problem. No, huskies that are bred right have no wolf in them. I have three kids, and they love our dog, and she loves them. Huskies are very pack inclined, so they like to do things with the family.

If you want a husky, make sure you have the space, time and energy. RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!!!!!!
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 11:53 AM on Jul. 11, 2010