If anyone has a Siberian Husky or Husky, I have a few questions about them?

Why do people say they are difficult dogs?
and are they wolves of some kind?
Ithink they are beautiful and intelligent i would like to get one someday.. and i was wondering about them ive read they are difficult dogs but what do they mean by "difficult" and i heard they are hard to train but why?

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I had one years ago. They are lovely. What makes them difficult is that they are big and need lots of exercise, BUT they also tend to run off. Also, they are very furry and need frequent brushing. You will be amazed at the amount of hair that comes off them! Really. Someone even made a YouTube video of their Husky being brushed out. Go search for it, then decide if you are up to it.

They are beautiful and loyal, though.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 2:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Husky's are beautiful intelligent dogs. They also tend to bond to one person more than a whole family. They are closely related to a wolf genetically and by behavior. They have a high prey drive and can be stubborn. For this reason owners must make sure to complete obedience training. They are NOT a beginner's dog. They have a double coat and will need frequent brushing. If you hate shedding a sib is not for you. If you have other questions feel free to pm me.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Wow thank you :) i thought maybe they needed to be tamed or something :) thanks for the advise
    Luckyme3487

Comment by Luckyme3487 (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Please don't take this the wrong way, but you sound like a beginner. I just want to make sure you understand before you go out and get a sib. They are difficult to handle. They MUST have training and that is an everyday endeavor. They will test your boundaries. If you think you cannot keep the alpha roll a sib is not for you. Make sure you do lots of research before jumping into anything. And search for breed recommendation generators. They may help to find a dog suited for your level of learning. Btw, if you'd like a dog forum to join I can give you a link. There are a lot of knowledgeable people there and a perfect place to begin learning all about dogs.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• well i have had dogs before i had a pug but my hubby and i thought he was going to get sent to iraq soo we got rid of her .. but it was just question i dont want one anytime soon maybe way in the future when we actually have our own house and a big yard :) just wondering about their behavior
    Luckyme3487

Comment by Luckyme3487 (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I don't have one, but grew up with one.
    My Grammy got a puppy husky when my mom was 5 months pregnant with me (I have the pic) and named her Wenonah.
    She was so sweet, gentle, cuddly, and quiet. She had a huge fenced-in area out back where she played most days unless it got too hot or too cold (we lived in Maine), but she never ran off from my Grammy and I would sneak her treats through the fence...hehehe.
    Unfortunately, Grammy was always cleaning up huge fluffs of hair that came off Wenonah all over the house (hardwood floors).
    My Grammy never had her professionally trained, but she must have known how to do things on her own because Wenonah always behaved very well. Of course, my Grammy had the patience of a saint (God bless her) so she probably trained through love and routine.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2010