Who really ordered it?

It's convenient. Thad Allen's last day with the Coast Guard was Wednesday. He took a civilian job with DHS in May, so he didn't lose it over the oil spill, but they KNEW he was on his way out the door. So why was he chosen to announce the press ban Anderson Cooper told the world about? Who really made the decision (from the government, nothing to do with BP) to ban press access to anything related to the spill - the boons, the animals, the beaches or the med center? Link to the AC report in 1st answer for those who didn't see it.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I would think that it would have had to come from somebody in the White House.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Since I can't playyoutube on my computer, I'm just guessing it had to come from the WH.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• There's a transcript of it at CNN, too:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1007/01/acd.02.html

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:18 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Well, didn't Obama say he was responsible? That he was in charge? That he on top of this mess and had been since day one?

I'm guessing if the POTUS wanted transparency, the Coast Guard would be transparent. Obama, as POTUS, is in charge of the Coast Guard. Since this whole debacle has gone on, the media has been complaining about the block they have encountered. Everyone who reads the news has heard the complaint, I'm sure Obama is aware of it as well.

It does make me wonder. You can't have a free country without free press.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• BTW, NP, thanks for the transcript. I just can't do youtube. It crashes too much.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My son did 4 years in the USCG. He doesn't have very glowing remarks about Admiral Thad Allen. I have no idea who ordered it, but why the media black-out? Our country doesn't restrict media access. It is that access, good or bad, that helps keep them honest, or at least, an attempt at honesty.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Un-friggin-believable.

Scary.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I always thought it was the Gov't that ordered it .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• All this is is a way for Obama to take over what is said, read and heard about this spill. It doesn't matter what was put out before or how things were being done. They are now under government rule and you will hear and see only what they want you to hear and see.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:30 AM on Jul. 5, 2010