Are side airbags safe if you have kids sitting next to each door?

I have two year old right now sitting in the middle of the car. We just got t-boned the other day and thankfully everyone was ok. Got me thinking though, when my baby comes in august both kids will be on each side of the doors. Is this really that safe? Also my car has side airbags which didn't deploy when we got t-boned but still wondering if this is safe with them sitting right there? The car shop said my nissan maxima is already at 4,000 worth of damage with suspension and shocks being part of that. I am wondering if I should push for a total loss and take money to get a bigger/safer car or will it still be ok to drive once fixed. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I am not sure if it is safe, but you need to replace that car seat, insurance should cover it! Join the car seat safety group and ask them, they are great! They can help you will all of this!
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 3:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I can't tell you about the Maxima..but in the book of my husbands Accord it specifcally says No kids under 12 or 100 lbs in front seat due to possible injury from facial deployment of airbag.. It goes on to say infants and children who are properly restrained in seat or boosters that are properly installed are safe from side curtain airbags. I would say xcheck with your manufactuer.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I'd check with the manufacturer as well. I believe side-impact airbags have fewer fo the issues that the front air bags have.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:14 PM on Jul. 4, 2010