I have a high spirited, challenging child.

And sometimes i just don't know what to do with him. I'm wondering if there are any groups on here for parents who parent challenging children. Do you know of any?
Do you have a challenging child? How do you discipline? What do you do when the discipline doesn't work?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 3:12 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• There this group:

"This group is for moms that are looking for solutions to their "behaviorally challenged" children. Children like to push buttons and test limits whenever they can, and as a parent, it isn't always easy to know what to do. Behavior management is often demanding and tiresome. Please feel free to sound off and give advice on discipline issues!"

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 3:40 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• how old? I think whatever discipline method you use it needs to always be consistant. Maybe even a schedule may work well if your having challenges, or maybe adding more productive activities together during that day may help as well (to keep his focus on positive things to do, and keep him/her challenged). The more time you dedicate to a challenging child, the better outcome yo'll get.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• You may want to try one of the gift groups on CafeMom

Answer by rkoloms at 3:18 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• dd is very smart...and has always tried to push limits. She gets bored easily and add to that a new baby...and she is driving us nuts! Spilling things on purpose. Deliberately getting on our nerves. It's ridiculous. Time out is the only thing that seems to work if we are consistent enough. The best thing for us to do in order to keep our sanity...is to take her outside every day so she gets to run around and burn off some steam...and we make a huge deal when she does something good...like pick up her toys or use the potty. My daughter is still young though, so not sure if this helps.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 4:04 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• We disciplined our by spanking them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• thank you everyone. My son is 5 and may have ADHD but also has other things going on.

precious, we do have a schedule. we homeschool and i like structure and luckily so do my boys. And we are in a few activities too. They have swim lessons, gymnastics and we also engage in skating at the local skating ring.

musicmom, i will definitely check out that group if it is active. Thank you very much!
    outstandingLove

Comment by outstandingLove (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• sadly, that group does not appear to be very active. :(
    outstandingLove

Comment by outstandingLove (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• How about this group:

"The Honest Parenting group is open to all moms who have children with behavioral or emotional issues. They may, or may not be diagnosed. If you want to learn, or if you have ideas and experiences to share, then come on in! I want this to be a very uplifting and positive experience for all of us!"

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• That group doesn't appear to be very active either. Thanks for trying musicmom! :) much appreciated.
    outstandingLove

Comment by outstandingLove (original poster) at 4:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My son is 9 1/2 and has ADHD as well as very gifted IQ. He was probably around your son's age when doctors started saying I should consider medicating him. I didn't do it until half way through second grade. I am so happy I did. He is a different kid. Don't get me wrong he still has issues and discipline is one of them but he is not constantly off the walls like he used to be. The other suggestion I have is to keep involved in physical activities outside as much as possible to burn off energy. Also if you can afford it an independent school where the ratio of teachers to students is really low and they physically change classrooms for subjects would be really beneficial to him. I can't imagine my son in a traditional school though it works for my daughter just fine. Good luck!
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 5:00 PM on Jul. 4, 2010