What should I do when switching from Breastfeeding to Formula?

Tips for my engorged boobs to get rid of the milk
Tips for helping baby not be gassy and switch to a schedule on it

iluvmybabies97

Asked by iluvmybabies97 at 3:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well I don't think it is anyone's business why you are switching to formula but your own. If any of them would have taken the time to look at your profile they would see your child is only 2 months. It depends on how fast you want the switch to occur. I just went through this with my son too. I started out BF but due to my own reasons I had to put him on formula. I went cold turkey. It took 3 days for the engorgement to stop. Motrin helped to lessen the pain. Ice can help as well. Cabbage leaves in your bra help dry out the milk too.
    As for to help him, burp him more often. I did in between each ounce just to make sure he wasn't getting air stuck. Gripe water also can help if he gets really bad. If none of that works then the formula may need to be switched to soy or lactose free. Make sure to discuss it with your pediatrician if the gas/fussiness gets too bad. Good luck.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 4:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• only drop one nursing in favor of formula at a time. for that feeding, pump enough to relieve the pressure if you feel you need to, but only enough to relieve the pressure or you will keep producing at the same rate. Still feed on demand, your baby should still dictate the schedule.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Start giving formula at one feeding and then gradually switch your baby to complete formula.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Start to pump to relieve, just about half of what you typically. Would this makes you body think it doesn't need to be producing so much milk. When beginning formula, I would just mix an oz in with the breast milk to start. This way it doesn't shock their system too much. Then gradually increase the mixture by half an oz. Also, if the baby is having trouble taking a bottle, have your hubby feed if it's possible, with you no where around....baby will smell you and know you are there. Depending on the baby's age depends on how often they should be eating. But if you are stricktly going to a bottle, it will be a little easier, you will see how many oz they are eating and then know it's every so many hours to eat. Hope that made sense!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:43 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• In my experience with my three I just stopped and toughed it out. Two I was done done done, it was WELL over a year and they weren't letting up. The other was biting viciously at nine months and i just had to be done. I was only in pain for a day or so with the engorgement. I left ice on them and took extra strength tylonel.. My children were already doing both formula and a bottle with breastmilk in addition to breastfeeding. If yours are not I would suggest introducing formula and a bottle now.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 3:42 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Why r you switching to formula? Unless you need to for some medical I say stick it out. If you make it to 12 months of age you can ususally go straight to cows milk. So much cheaper.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:47 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• FYI binding your breasts is not recommended and can lead to mastitis!
    I never weaned to formula, I just breastfed and went straight to a cup, so I didn't have problems with getting engorged (they were over a year and decreased the breastfeeding very gradually). I hear you should do it really gradually, that if you are getting engorged you are going too fast.
    As far as baby getting gassy, my only suggestion would be to not switch! If you are already producing the perfect food for your baby, why switch?
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I also binded my breasts for a faster process to dry up. And put ice compresses on them to help with the soreness.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2010