What dos Dilation Feel like? If you know your dilating?

DOes it feel like something is just peircing or Scratching at your Cervix for a few seconds? If it does then Goodness Ive been dilating for the past month

UAFwife

Asked by UAFwife at 4:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I honestly never felt it at all, even in the hospital preparing for delivery and before any meds. I went from 1 to 5 pretty quickly and never even knew until I was told.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 4:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• You don't feel yourself dilating. At least I didn't.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 4:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• For both of my kids, I was 4cm dilated (9 is the max - when the rugrat's ready to pop) for the last 2 weeks of my pregnancy. I didn't notice; I only found out from my doctor visits when they'd check me. For my first pregnancy, they wanted me to come in anytime I had steady contractions because they said I was technically halfway there already at 4cm and they didn't want me giving birth in some unsanitary location (like the vehicle or some restaurant floor). LOL Well, that was BS -- it took hours before I was truly in labor & pushing, even at 4cm dilation!

So with my 2nd one, I didn't panic as much about it, and rightfully so, because I didn't have to push/go into the worst of labor until a few hours later.
    VexAzn

Answer by VexAzn at 4:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Never felt a thing until labor kicked in. If you are having pain you should contact your doctor to make sure everything is ok. It could be your baby settling on your cervix or something as simple as that but I definitely would let them know.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:28 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• i never felt myself dilating, i did feel the contractions that were working on dilating my cervix though ;)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• actaully i noticed something felt really funny down there when i started{permaturelly} it felt almost like i was relaxing uncontrobally,and tingally
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• All I felt was cramping and pressure.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• No, I could never feel dilation. I did feel those 'pinching' feelings in my cervix without being dilated- my doctor said it was due to the baby putting pressure on nerves in the pelvic floor and not due to dilation. There really isn't always a way to tell before labour actually starts- with one of my kids I was three centimeters dilated at 36 seeks and really had not felt any serious contractions at all- and I still didn't have her for another three weeks!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:00 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I dont feel contractions even when I was in labor they were like " alright here comes another one" and I had no idea. What I feel is like a scratching inside right where my cervix would be, and it it hurts. Sometimes it feels like my sockets are out of place as well in my hips, that I know is from the baby pushing down. My mother in law said she was 5 cm dilated and she had no idea but had been experiencing those types of pain.
    UAFwife

Comment by UAFwife (original poster) at 10:23 AM on Jul. 5, 2010