If your teen daughter told you she was pregnant and so were her best friends...

how would you react? What would you do?

This is the plotline of the book I'm reading. Just finished reading the parts where the 3 best friends have each told their parents. The girls all planned it deliberately and the parents are floored.

Anyway, I only have a 3 year old boy, so obviously it doesn't apply to me, but I think my reaction would be...well, yeah I'd be pissed. But I would support her. If she decided to keep the baby, she'd have to be responsible for it, and that would include finishing school and getting a job to support it (which means paying for daycare as well). I mean if you go into making a pregnancy pact, you need to go in realizing that there's more to having a baby than just giving birth.

Anyway, I'm curious how the book turns out, LOL. Let me know what you think. And if you know the book I'm talking about, don't spoil the ending. :p

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• well supporting your kids through good and bad is a part of being a parent, however if my child deliberatly got pregnant at a young age i dont think i would offer as much help. it would be stay in school but you better have a part time job to pay for the diapers and clothes. if it was an accident i would offer all of my help but i still would not agree with it.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• That sounds like the movie on lifetime called Pregnancy Pact.. haha. I was devastating in so many ways. I think girls who do that have NOOOOOOO idea what they are doing.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 4:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• It also sounds like an episode of Law & Order SVU, where a bunch of girls entered into a pregnancy pact because one of them got pregnant and didn't want to go through it alone.
    I would most likely help her find new friends.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• It's selfish but in America, we can all become mothers, and do we really want to put laws in place to have moms qualify? It's tough. I think I would want my daughter to have the baby (no abortion ever an option in my house) but offer to adopt the baby from her, help her raise him or her, or help her put the baby up for adoption outside of the family if that were needed.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Its hard to say how you would really react until you are in that position. I was working full time, had moved out of home and was on my own when I got pregnant with my first child. My husband now and I were living together and oops we messed up. My mother who had been totally supportive up until then threatened to disown me. I was terrified and very naive. It was ugly to say the least. I just want to encourage parents to have an open dialog with their children from an early age and when it is appropriate, let them know you are there for them. Answer their questions and live in the real world. If Birth control is going help them make responsible decisions, help them. I know some say, not my child, they won't have sex... yea go into parenting with your eyes wide open. If they don't have you, they will find someone who will be there.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I am the mother of 2 boys, and I know you said it doesn't apply to you, but yes it would, if he got a girl pregnant. Or what if your son was the one who got all 3 girls pregnant? Saw that with several girls on Bones one time,lol. I would of course support my son or daughter. But I wouldn't be happy! I was a teen mom, and I got beyond lucky and have made it so far in life. But that doesn't happen very often!

txdaniella - I am completely against abortion, but I am sorry, you are stupid if you think you can stop her from having on it she wants it. You have NO say in her reproductive health and her choices. All you can do it try to raise her with your values, and hope for the best.

clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I have read of a few areas where that has really happened. How immature of these girls not to see the long term consequences of these actions or to really believe that they will even be in touch with these girls who are their best friends and they want to all go at it together a few years down the road.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 4:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• first off loved the book lol i couldnt put it down, second i would support my child with whatever the decision but they would know the child was theirs... that means they would be up in the middle of the night and still going to school and/or work i would be happy to help them when i was awake and financially if they were showing a good faith effort but honestly if they didnt want to put in the time and energy it takes not only would they not be getting financial help they would be getting an ear full on either moving out and doing it 100 % alone or adoption...
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 6:43 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• If my daughter and her friends got preggers on purpose I would of course be really upset. I would immediately get her into therapy and then assure her that she is now responsible for the choice that she made. I would help her because I would care so much about the child involved, but I would do my best to make sure that she was taking on as much responsibility as possible.
    ErinRenee815

Answer by ErinRenee815 at 8:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• OP, I took the "it doesn't apply to me" to mean that he's not your DAUGHTER. The questions specifies DAUGHTER, not daughter, or father of baby. I'm extremely exhausted and slightly delirous and I think that might have sounded a bit rude, if it did, i swear, i didn't mean it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 4, 2010