have you given birth with and without an epidural? which would you choose and why?

my first 2 were with an epidural and i really cant remember much of anything from thier births, my 3rd i chose without the epidural and i feel that it realy helped us bond faster and stronger than i did with my first 2. im pregnant with my 4th and im trying to think about it. i want the epidural because that shit hurts! but i dont because the bond i have with my youngest was incredable from the very first second, not that i dont have a strong bond with the other 2 it just took a little time to be that strong.

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 4:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I gave birth to a set of very large twins naturally, and man oh man it hurt, but the pain was gone as soon as my babies were in my arms and if I had to do it again I absolutly would.
    merlynn

Answer by merlynn at 4:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I had an epidural even though I swore I wouldn't. The pain I could handle but the nurse told me that if I got one I wouldn't feel how gross I felt when my water broke. She was wrong. It was disgusting. and honestly, the pain was bearable. I don't know why it didn't work for me, but I felt eveything. The shoulders were the most painful to get out.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I LOVED doing it without an epidural and NOT being induced. My first I was induced and with no drugs. HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE, PAINFUL!! My 2nd and 3rd I had an epidural, although it was a very poor one with my second child. With my 3rd child it was a good epidural but I did not like not feeling anything (they had the epidural as light as they could for me). With my fourth I went into labor and walked in the hospital at 9 1/2 cm and he was born less then an hour later. No epidural!! I highly recommend it (IF you are not induced).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I didn't have an epidural or any drugs other than for the UTI I had while amidst labor. LOL For both of my kids (who are 8yrs apart in age), I went all natural with no drugs. The prob was that by the time I was in pain, I was almost done with pushing... And even then, I was uncomfortable but I could still withstand the pain so I guess I waited till the very last minute in hopes that I wouldn't need it at all... Which I guess I didn't, since I survived both births fine. The worst of the pain was just before the head crowns and when the shoulders are pushing thru. Being able to push was the biggest relief! I fell asleep for a few hours after holding my kids, so I could imagine how worse it could've been if I was drugged up! I was dozing off between contractions with my 1st child as it was, because of the UTI meds in my IV. LOL
    VexAzn

Answer by VexAzn at 4:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• 1st - without
    2nd - tried to go without since I had done it before but finally opted for the epi
    3rd - totally went with the epi as soon as I could! LOL
    If I ever have another kid, I'll definitely have the epi again
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 4:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• 1st- unplanned emergency c-sect
    2nd- natural vaginal birth, no meds of any kind. If I had it to do over again I would do it natural, no meds hands down!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My first I had without an epidural until after I had been pushing for 2 hours and they decided they needed to use the vacuum (the dr wouldn't apply the vacuum without an epi), my 2nd and 3rd I had an epi fairly early into my labor. Both times it speeded up the births because it allowed my body to relax instead of tensing with every contraction. I MUCH prefer birth with epidurals, they did nothing but help me!

Answer by missanc at 5:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• i cant compare the 2 but for my first i had no drugs or anything...i felt so much freedom to go in the shower, walk around...whatever also my bodies drugs were stronger then any man made drug out there when it actually came to the pushing out the baby part. and no epi- headache after words...i dont know if its true for all moms but the pain really did go away when my boy was in my arms
    april262009

Answer by april262009 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• i can't compare epi/no epi but with my first i had no pain meds and i was free to move around, get in the tub, whatever i wanted. w/ my 2nd, i was only 33 weeks and i was restricted to bed w/ monitors and then strapped down in an ambulance. i had no pain meds either time but the first was much less painful because i was able to move around.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 6:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2010