If you had a c section, did you receive an epidural or a spinal block?

I had a spinal block, but I know some women who had an epidural. Why would a doctor choose one over the other?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 4:09 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had a epidural with my first baby and a spinal with my third baby....These were both c sections.... My second birth was a vaginal and I did not have any anesthesia.... Also, I needed a postpartum girdle after my c sections but could not find a reliable source... After I had my last baby my BF started working for a company who sold under garments/ re-shapers.... They have pre and postpartum girdles... www.ardysslife.com/akari... This is my current site... Needless to say I became a member for after wearing the garment..... Can you blame me the membership was less than Sams Club and BJ ($30)…We also carry cellulite/ stretch mark gels and creams....

www.ardysslife.com/akari
    Aprilplus4

Answer by Aprilplus4 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I had an epidural for my c-section. And I worked in L&D. I think which one the doc chooses has a lot to do with what that doc's experiences are and what the anesthesiologist who is assigned to the case is more adept at. IMHO.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I had a spinal block. I don't think a plain epidural would be enough, but there are combo spinal epidurals, so maybe that's what the folks you know had, rather than straight epidurals?
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I had a spinal block because they did not offer epidurals at the hospital where I was. It was a small hospital and the anethesiologist was not on duty 24/7, so they only did the spinal blocks, no epidurals.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• With my first c-section, I was already in labor and already had the epidural. With my 2nd, it was planned so I had a spinal. I asked the doctor about the difference, and he said the spinal takes effect faster and wears off faster than an epidural, which is why they use it for the planned c-sections.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 5:03 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Ive had 4 c sections. With c section 1, 2, and 3 I had a spinal block. With c section #4 I had a epidural and a spinal block. They wanted to make sure the medication would last long enough, because I was getting a tubal ligation done at the same time. So, if for some reason they were to run into complications they already had the epidural going so they could top me up with medication if need be.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 6:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• 2 c-sections..spinal block for both
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 2:46 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Spinal for both. Discuss benfits of each with Dr beforehand
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:01 PM on Jul. 5, 2010