I THINK THIS IS STUPID!!!

President Obama announced Friday,as part of the federal economic stimulus package,the government will allocate more than $1 billion for installing broadband Internet across the country. Do you think this plan is a good idea? I Sure DON'T!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, it will put people to work installing, etc. There are worse things it could be spent on.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 4:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Yes, I like this idea. It will create an opportunity for the whole country to be connected and it will create jobs. People whine if he isn't doing something and then whine when he does. I don't agree with all of the choices of his administration, but what do you want?
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• He spends a lot of time thinking of ways to spend another billion.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 4:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I think it's a good idea.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:28 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• "There are worse things it could be spent on. "

There are also better things it could be spent on.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I think there are better things he could be spending money on, it will create some jobs short term - but I don't see it as having any real lasting impact. What good is this going to do for the estimated 50% of families living at/below the poverty level that don't even have a computer?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:53 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Depends on how he's doing it. If that money is incentives for private companies to install and maintain their own hardware and offer service to more people, that is creating real jobs that will still exist after construction is done. If it's the government installing infrastructure which will then be owned and maintained by the government, it's just throwing more money away. We need the PRIVATE sector to pay for things, not public. There is no money left for public sector to pay for squat.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I think that it is so wasteful. The way he spends money in a poor attempt to stimulate the economy reminds me of a person buying an expensive car instead of buying their children groceries. It's so refreshing to know that he has his priorities straight while my husband is in Afghanistan because every year he has promised Karzait 30,000 more troops. Absolutely ridiculous.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 5:03 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Why is the government doing it? Private industry has been doing this for years now. I think it takes the motivation from private industry. Just another job killer.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• President Obama on Friday announced 66 new broadband grants and loans totaling $795 million, part of the administration's continued rollout of Recovery Act grants meant to expand high-speed Internet connections across the country...So far, the administration has doled out $2.7 billion in grants, which is less than half of the $7.2 billion set aside in the stimulus plan for broadband Internet projects. The new funding will come from the Department of Commerce http://voices.washingtonpost.com/posttech/2010/07/obama_to_announce_795_million.html

This money was in the stimulus, he is just announcing where it will go.  It's part of the infrastructure improvement that was going to both create jobs and improve the country.  I don't think it's stupid.  These are some of the "shovel ready" jobs.

stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 4, 2010