Who can I ask about herbal stuff?

I'm breastfeeding and want to take some supplements to help with a few things...who can I ask to make sure they are safe for BF? My pharmacist would know about vitamins and such...but if you ask about anything made from plants or something he seems to look puzzled. Doctors aren't much better. How can I find an herbalist or something? And will they answer those questions without having dealt with me before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Health

• Probably depends on where you live. I learned though, when breast feeding, if you are prone to allergies, your baby most likely will be too. I took that Mother's Milk stuff to help boost my milk supply, it's made with herbs and a lot of plant, as in flower, extracts. Needless to say, my sons testicals swelled way up and he broke out in a rash with the first feeding. I had to pump and dump for a full day to make sure it was out of my system. So, just watch what you take. Babies are very sensitive to such things.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 4:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• There is a lot of info on this at Herbs and Breastfeeding

this is part of Is This Safe When Breastfeeding? at kellymom.com that has tons of good info. Pharmacists and Doctors often have very little info on medications and breastmilk and will often tell you it is not safe when it really is, simply becuase they don't know.

You can also do a search for things at LactNet

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2010