If u homeschool & break for the summer...

Thanks for reading :)

If you homeschool & plan to start up this fall, what will you do to prepare? Will you buy new clothing for the kids, replace backpacks, when and where do you buy curriculum & supplies?

txdaniella

Asked by txdaniella at 4:24 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in

• I buy the majority of school supplies (paper, pencils, pens, folders, notebooks, etc.) when they come on sale in August at the local stores. Since they don't have to carry their books on a bus everyday, they don't need a new backpack every year because their current ones aren't worn out and they don't have to worry about keeping up with the Jones' kids and their "cool" backpacks.

As for clothes, I buy those as needed throughout the year, taking advantage of sales as they come along.

I purchase the curriculum right from the publisher. They have free shipping during April, so that is when I usually order the books for the next year.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:53 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I will buy some new school supplies when they go on sale in the stores (markers, pencils, glue etc.) and make sure the kids are all set with that. This summer I'm going to get a new work area and supplies area set up. As for curriculum, we are part of a charter school that will supply the curriculum so we just have to wait for it to arrive in the mail!
    I buy new clothing, back packs etc. as needed though out the year, particularly when I see a good sale!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• We don't break for Summer. We do year round, with weekends and holidays off. During Summer though, the hours are cut in half. We buy supplies in bulk, so we end up paying less in the end. We buy our school software online at Free Homeschool Software, and our other supplies at Walmart or Oriental Trading Co..

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 5:12 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Before we finished for the year I already had most of his stuff for next year purchased. I finished purchasing stuff towards the beginning of our break and I've been working on preparing different things and scheduling how we're going to do his curriculum for the upcoming year. I had hoped the BTS sales would be this week and we could shop, but looks like they won't be until next week, so we'll probably buy the minimum we need this week and finish up shopping next week when I suspect the big sales will start (we start school next week so that kind of sucks. I was hoping to be done this week.) I also look into and try to plan field trips as well.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 5:46 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• We homeschool all year round, going lighter in the summers and taking breaks as needed during the school year. I don't buy back-to-school gear. I will pick up stuff when the back-to-school stuff gets marked down, though.

Maybe it's just me, but we don't go through school supplies that fast. When my kids were in preschool, I had to buy new stuff every year. Now, we use the same markers and paint from last year, we use notebooks until they run out of paper.

I don't buy "back to school" clothes, I get hand-me-downs and pick up clothes at the thrift shop all year round. I'm usually stocked up a year or two ahead on clothes.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:36 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I HS all year long, but we do take short breaks throughout the year. But I can still answer. I hit the Back to school sales and stock up!! At our Walmart they seel Crayola crayons 24 pack for like 25 cents. Pencils for $1 for a pack of 100, etc. You cannot beat it! I am getting DD a new back pack this year for her groups and library days.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 11:52 AM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Our summer break is only a month long, so we are actually back to school now (started July 6). We put our own curriculum together so I've been working on that since March of this year. For supplies, I get what we need as we need it. When the back to school sales hit, I will stock up on the basics like pencils, paper, notebooks, etc. We don't get back to school clothes since we started homeschooling, like everything else, we buy it when we need it. However, I do check for the tax free day in our state (and the two neighboring states since we live so close) and if the girls do need any clothing or shoes we purchase it then. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:13 AM on Jul. 13, 2010

Next question in
Computer HELP...PLEASE!!!!!

Next question overall (Health)
Who can I ask about herbal stuff?