Someone gave my son a webkinz for his bday.....

not thrilled about it, but I'll feel bad if they ask and we haven't done anything with it yet. Can anyone help me out with figuring out any "security" options for it or something? I'd rather not allow chat and things like that on there. Is it true you can use this site to access YouTube?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Can you child just play with it like a stuffed animal?

It is your choice as Mom to allow or not allow the computer option. There is no reason he HAS to register it and play with it on the computer.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 4:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• It's totally UP TO YOU what he does with it. YOU are his mom, NOT the other child's mother.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 4:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I ususaly just have them register it, have them pick out a name, and print out the birth certificate, and thats it :)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My sister gave one to my two year old. rolls eyes

I agree, you don't have to let your LO on th computer with it.
    MillyPontipee

Answer by MillyPontipee at 4:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I'd go on while he's asleep and play around. We have a webkinz but it was given by a cousin (used to be hers) so whatever computer codes it had come with were used up. Personally, I would rather my kids play on a computer game we own and does not use the internet, but If webkins online was really superb at teaching, I may bend the rules...
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• The regular webkinz that you sign up for is totally safe! The only way they can "chat" with someone is with pre-set phrases already picked out (you can't type anything in). My kids really like it. I like that they are always figuring out ways to earn money and buy things they want (fake "kinz cash"). The use a lot of math and problem solving to figure it all out. Some of the games are educational as well.
    It is really about he safest thing out there on the internet.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• There are actually alot of education games on that site and it is absolutely secure. Whether or not you want you kid on the computer is up to you though.
    Dawn4175

Answer by Dawn4175 at 4:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My youngest has been playing webkinz since she was 4 and she loves it still 3 yrs later!! I find it it very educational in some aspects.. she has to "earn" the points to "buy" what she wants, and a lot of the games are educational.

The chat is just pre-set phrases and I do THINK there is a way to disable it all together I may be wrong though.

I like the site and my daughter loves it so it's a win win for us. She still gets 3-4 webkinz a month plus one each holiday.

Michele975

Answer by Michele975 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• No - you cannot access YouTube from a WebKinz and the only way he can chat with someone is if you send in a form allowing it. Even then, it filters out anything the website even thinks might be appropriate (like numbers, proper names, etc) as a security, whether you would allow it or not. My kids love their WebKinz, but I played with them for a long time to make sure that there was no way they could get into any trouble online by playing with it.

Answer by missanc at 5:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I most certainly aprove this game webkinz cause its educational! Anything where my kids can leanr is fine by me.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 6:00 PM on Jul. 4, 2010