Is using Splenda really better than using sugar?

just curious

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Bump!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• In my opinion, yes it is. My extended family (mom, dad, brother, etc) and my husband's father, grandfather etc all have diabetes. Therefore we both know that we are could develop diabetes at any moment really. So we replace sugar with splenda and sugar filled stuff with sugar free stuff. Now, we don't eat a lot of what would normally be sugary stuff anyway. We are a huge fruit loving family. But yes in my opinion it is good to reduce the amount of sugar a person consumes with something that is a lot better for you.
    My3LittleGirls

Answer by My3LittleGirls at 4:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• i hope so because i use splenda instead of sugar. lol
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 4:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I think real sugar would be physically better for you. Splenda has less calories but it is a chemical not a sugar. The chemically altered sugar alternatives worry me sometimes. People consume so many different things and we really don't know all of the side effects yet. We know that aspartame is a carcinogen yet it is consumed by the bucket fulls. Guess its your choice. We're all on our way to meet Jesus (as my doctor says) anyway.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:34 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Maybe NOT, but it is DEFINITELY better than anything with aspartame! I got an adrenal gland tumor from TOO much ingestion of aspartame. (That was the endocrine surgeon's assessment of the situation.) It is HARD to find any artificially sweetened products that do NOT contain aspartame!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 4:40 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I don't use any artificial sweeteners, it just does not seem like they would be good for you. A lot of the ones that have come out before have later been shown to not be good for you. I will not give my kids anything that has Splenda in it.
    I think it is far better to use natural unrefined cane sugar. I tend to use less than the recipe calls for. I also just serve less sweets!
    I don't agree that "Anything is better than refined sugar. ;0) " in regards to Spelnda. It is MORE refined than regular refined sugar!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• only if you find chlorine better for you than real sugar.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 4:42 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I prefer regular sugar and I have a son with Type 1 diabetes. Who knows what the long term effects of Splenda and others will be. The key is moderation.

Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 4:47 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• IMO not at all. Splenda is not real, stick with real things and limit your intake.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I don't think so - Splenda isn't a natural product, I can't imagine that ingesting chemicals is better for you than eating sugar.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2010