All these book questions - are their book thieves in your area?

Over the years there have always been stories popping up about "concerned citizens" who check out books they consider inappropriate and refuse to return them or flat out steal them without checking them out. I hadn't really given much thought about it until I tried ordering a copy of something for one of my paper's last semester. It was a photography book that happens to have a lot of nudes in it, and showed as checked out with a return date last year. When I asked the librarian she said "it happens" and ordered it from a partner library for me, but she absolutely didn't want to discuss it further. Does it happen near you, too?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 5:09 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have not yet bumped into this problem at my local library, but then again I like to buy books rather than just borrow them. Now that I am with out a job, I will be using the library a lot more, so we'll see if this happens around here too.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 5:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Never heard of this. We frequent the library one to two times a week, but rarely are checking out anything controversial.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 5:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• It has happened to me as well. I tried to get a book by Laura Schlessinger, and it had never been returned. Whether it was due to a lot of people disagreeing with her, I don't know. It wasn't necessarily a controversial book, but one that many people might find offensive. People need to be careful about that. There have actually been people arrested for not returning library books, lol. One lady got pulled over and when they found out she had around $80 in unpaid fines from an unreturned book, she was arrested. The library had reported her and there was a warrant out for her arrest. more states are working with local libraries to enforce this.It is stealing, I guess, and people shouldn't get away with it. However, I think that it would be kind of funny to be in jail and when someone asked what you're in for you have to tell them it was due to library fines.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• We have an issue with homeless stealing books.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I haven't heard of that happening but it wouln't surprise me if it did happen once in a while around here. There are a lot of books missing from my library but I don't think its because people don't like the content of the books.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Is there something about a belief here? Anyways...are you trying to say that christians are stealing the books?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My local Library has 15 "Pagan/Wiccan" books listed in their card catalog. ALL of them have been missing for over a year. In fact, so have their Islamic & other religion books which aren't Christian... Which doesn't surprise me in a town like this one...

Other than that, I don't know. I just know every single time I have gone to the library for research, nothing is there. It's all listed as being taken out on 1/1/05 - which is amusing since they aren't open on New Years Day...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

No. Are you paranoid much? There is more to "belief" than religion.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• lol paranoid. I prefer outsmart..............

3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 7:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I've heard of this happening, it's not happened to me personally. I can think of some people I know that would do it too. These are the same type of people that use to burn books...or present lists of books at school board meetings with 'questionable" content. In other words...small minded people that think they know what is best for everyone else.
    ColleenW62

Answer by ColleenW62 at 9:21 PM on Jul. 4, 2010