Tightening the rules. Good idea?

I was always told that everything having to do with the media was handled by the Public Relations Office. Maybe that's just for enlisted, and maybe that's just something the Corps has, we haven't been in the Army long enough to completely know our way around yet. In any case, it seems like a good idea to me, but I think that McChyrstal would've found a way to get out somehow and that was just the path of least resistance at the time.

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 5:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I think he planned this. And this is the way he wanted to go.
    clovismommy25

Answer by clovismommy25 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• We don't need a law for this. There are already repercussions in life for behaving this way
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Come on ladies, he could have just retired.

He trusted that little weasel from Rolling Stone, that was his big mistake.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 12:33 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I have almost formed the opinion that he deliberately said the things he said because it got him out. I think he wanted a way out and threw himself under the bus to force this whole thing. I'm still looking for a little more proof before I commit to the opinion.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:49 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• Thats a crazy idea. This guy was a smart man and I just can't see a General with his stature doing this to get out of the position he was in or the Army. The man was humiliated. He could have easily just retired using any excuse he wanted to. I think he used bad judgement in trusting this idiot reporter.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:25 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I've seen lesser ranked officers throw themselves under the bus like this when the higher ups ain't cooperative and they just give up trying to fight with them. We all know he's had to basically pull teeth from a gator to get even a fraction of what he said they needed to effectively do the job over there, I'm thinking he just got fed up with all the bureaucrats and stall tactics.

BlueCollarMama

Comment by BlueCollarMama (original poster) at 9:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• You can't "just retire" in the middle of a war. You have to finish out your enlistment, and they can deny your retirement if it's for the best of the country. He made sure that didn't happen.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:36 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I think he did this on purpose to let us know what is really going on with Obama and the war. It was the only way to let us know, and he did it knowing what the consequences would be. Basically he sacrificed himself to get the truth out to us. I think we need to pay more attention to what he said and less attention to how he said it.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:11 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I agree with Jesse. He wanted out of the no win ME situation and found an absolute way to accomplish the goal. Plan and implement-he was well trained. Look for him to be working in the civilian world, raking it in, before too long. Generals just do not suddenly misspeak.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2010