Back in the olden days...Do you remember your grandmother outside beating up the mattress?

Due to dust, dust mites and even bed bugs.
What do you do now a days to prevent the creature sucking you up.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Health

• My grandmothers never beat their mattresses. They did beat rugs.

My mattress is in a zippered mattress cover, and we remove it and vacuum the mattress twice a year.

Answer by Bmat at 8:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I don't remember any grandmother (and I remember my great grandmother) beating mattresses, but I do remember them beating the rugs. I'm pretty sure I remember my mom doing some of the rugs too....something about "they aren't supposed to be vacuumed"???!!!!!????? I think my mom was afraid of the vacuum. Seriously.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My grandma never did that when I was growing up they traveled around alot in their 5th-wheel so everything was pretty stationary.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 6:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I don't remember either of my grandmothers ever beating a mattress, although my paternal grandmother occasionally beat a rug (she didn't have a vacuum b/c they had mostly hardwood floors).

To answer your question, though, I steam our mattresses and they are also encased in allergy covers to keep the dust mites away from us.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I beat and vacuum mine twice a year when I do the big bed clean including washing the protectors, bed skirt, and duvet. I prefer beating because I once had a vacuum practically explode on me while vacuuming a mattress. No idea what went wrong but it just suddenly made a couple of awful noises, the conked out in a cloud of stinky smoke. It's made me very leery of vacuuming mattresses now so I give it a good beating then vacuum it quickly.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 9:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2010