How to find a trustworthy babysitter

I've been trying to find a good babysitter through some online babysitting agencies, but I'm starting to feel like these agencies are not what they say they are. I know that in order to have access to the full profile of these sitters I have to pay for the services, however, I just can't afford to pay on a monthly basis. I have no social life and I really want to start meeting and hanging with new people, but I am having no luck with finding a trustworthy person to babysit for me. It's been 3 years since I've been out for adult fun and I would like to know where I can find a good sitter. I would really appreciate some info about this situation. Thanks.

browneyes27

Asked by browneyes27 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would call the Red Cross, they have a babysitter class. Also the Y or Boys and Girls Club may have some leads as well Girl Scout councils and Church's. Also call the local collages and post something on campus. Don't forget to ask for referances. GL I will doing the same soon.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:06 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• It's very hard. I put an ad in my local paper that comes out once a week. I stated how many kids I have and how much I can pay an hour. I've gotten dozens of calls. Mostly from high school students, usually their mom calls to make sure my ad is legitimate, which makes me feel good. Some called acted interested and I spoke to them several times on the phone, and they they ended up being a no show, which is very annoying. However I've met a few that I really feel good about.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I only let family and very good friends babysit my kids, and I rarely use friends honestly and the only real times I get a babysitter is so hubby and I can go out on a date, or if there is a dr.'s appointment that I know the kids will be crazy at. Do you belong to a church or a playgroup?
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Where I live you can call social services and they can get you in touch with sitters who have criminal record checks etc
    Melissa15

Answer by Melissa15 at 6:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• The sad part is that I can't trust many of my family members to watch my daughter because they don't do a good enough job with their own kids, so there's no way I'm leaving them with my child. I haven't been to church in years.
    browneyes27

Comment by browneyes27 (original poster) at 6:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Here on cafemom there is many groups founded for different area's of the country.. MAYBE YOU CAN UTILIZE ONE OF THEM AND SEEK FOR A BABYSITTER THAT WAY. I mean atleast it would allow you to look for people and ask them questions.. even set up a time to meet and get to know them.. and HEY MAYBE YOU WILL FIND A NEW FRIEND.!
    MAKEMYDAY101

Answer by MAKEMYDAY101 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2010