Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

single mom/passports/permission from ex to travel..

i live in canada, so i know the rules might be a lil different..but..i'll ask anyways...i have my daughter, shes 6..her dad isnt involved in her life anymore, but because of the court order, i need permission from him to be able to take her to the do i get permission from him, if i dont know where he is?? what type of permission do i need?? just a letter from him? does it have to be notarized? does it have to be permssion thru court??


Asked by alexis_06 at 6:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 42 (146,031 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I never needed anything but a note. The note was more to save my ass if he tried anything funny in court. I was the only parent needed to obtain a passport.

    Answer by Meladori_Magpie at 6:46 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

  • If you don't know where he is and have no contact with him in quite some time. Can you go to the courts and ask them to give you permission to take your daughter out of the country. Not sure how things are in Canada but I'd think if you can't even find him the court would be able to cancel that part of the agreement.

    Answer by Michele975 at 8:28 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

  • Here in the States, if you are a single parent, and have a reasonable excuse as to why you cannot get the other parents' signature/permission you can still get a passport.

    Answer by my2.5boys at 10:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

  • In NC, you have to advertise in the paper for a certain period that you are looking for _______ concerning this. They have a prescribed time period. After that, if there is no contact, you can go to the court and be granted permission.

    Answer by jesse123456 at 7:32 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

  • I would say you need to seek legal advice. If your papers say (mine do) that you have to have permission, I dont see any way around it. Even if he's not in the picture, and cant find him. They sometimes post an ad in the papers stating they need to find him and if there is no answer they court decided for you, without him there. Good luck to you.

    Answer by SassyStinger at 9:07 PM on Jul. 5, 2010