Moms that work...

what do you mean when you say that you dont know how sahm's do it? I'm thinking in my head how does a working mom do it?! Working moms care for kids and have another job... job on top of job plus the multi getting them ready and making sure the kids have everything at the sitters.. how do you do it!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I've been a full time SAHM & a "Working mom" and I can tell you, for me, being a working mom is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier!

Working provides structure, adult contact & a sense of freedom... You don't get any of that as a SAHM... As of the 19th I'm going back to being home full time... And honestly, I'm dreading it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I think they may mean that staying at home seems boring. I loved being a SAHM, but when my children were in school I wanted to make some money, so I took a part time job, which I also enjoyed. But I had to let go of a lot of what I did as a SAHM- my big vegetable garden, my cooking from scratch, vacuuming every day.

Answer by Bmat at 7:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I feel like I can never get it together or get caught up. A lot of my cleaning never really gets done and that bothers me. I would love to have a clean house and feel more stable.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:00 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• SAHM:
    Pros: at home with kids, always have free childcare, know your child is safe
    Cons: Less adult interaction, Less time to yourself, harder to develop structure, no 2nd set of income

WM:
    Pros: Time to self, time to interact, easy routine development, 2nd set of income
    Cons: Have to trust your child with someone else if there is no school or dad at home, miss out on some firsts possibly, etc
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:14 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Personally I think being a SAHM is harder. You are the one person responsible for your child/children. Most SAHM do everything inside the house while all the working mothers that I know share household chores with their husbands. Working mothers get the adult contact that I crave (at times). There are times that my husband gets home from work and I can't stop talking to him, while I love being with my children and talking with them I still need adult contact. There are a lot of people that I know that think SAHM's do nothing and sit around and watch Soap Opera's all day (my sis in law included). Last summer I challenged her to stay at home for a week and do it all (normally her husband cooks and cleans). Could she do it? No, she lasted for 3 days before she called the babysitter for her girls. Do I have respect for working mothers? Yes but it isn't a choice that I would make for me.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Speaking for me personally, I think it's how do you not get stressed out so much? I love my son more than anything in this world, but I need my time away from him or else he does start to drive me a little crazy. I know SAHMs who can't wait until they can put their kids to bed just to get a little peace and quiet and time to themselves.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I agree with everyone else too btw. You tend to be more responsible for things when you stay at home. But then, us working moms also have to work, and then come home and take care of things there, including our children (which sometimes include our husbands).
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I look up to anyone that parents their child at all...regaurdless of being a SAHM or a WM!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I kind of do both. I work in a school so I have summers off with my kids and by Sept I am always ready to go back to work. My kids drive me crazy and I know myself well enough to know that I am a better mom when I get a break from them and get to have adult interaction. So my hat's off to women who can stay home with their kids full time.

I will say though, that I don't know that one or the other is easier. I think it's all about attitude. Some find woh harder, some sah harder, but really it's what you want and what works best for you and your family.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:42 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I think it is important as a SAHM to know that you sometimes need to take a day and get out with a girlfriend or something so you don't go insane. I am a SAHM of 5 kids and some days ( like today) it is all I can do to keep up. I am getting sick (sore throat, cough, etc) and my 2 week old has been up since 4am. I still have to keep going just like anyone else though so I think we all have a lot on our plates no matter what we do.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 8:32 AM on Jul. 5, 2010