If it "looks silly" for a 2 year to still be using a bottle, then does it "look silly" for a 2 year old to still be breastfeeding?

I'm talking strictly LOOKS, not health benefits, etc. I see a lot of moms saying how silly it looks for a 2 year old to still be using a couple of bottles per day, and I wanted to know if the feeling is mutual when it comes to 2 years old who are still being breastfed...or is there a contradiction of opinion?

Fallaya

Asked by Fallaya at 7:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I do think there is a contradiction. It does look odd to see a 2 year old breastfeeding, and it looks odd to see a 2 year old with a bottle in his mouth. Which is why my 2 year old son only used a bottle when he was sick at home and at bedtime. We didn't give it to him when we were out. I have an almost 2 year old daughter I am still breastfeeding, and I have started to feed her in public less and less. IMO neither should be seen as strange.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• The only women I know who breast feed passed 18months only do so before bed or in the morning, not an all the time thing.

So If I saw either I think it looks silly. The bottle because there is no excuse, it's not even for bonding, get a sippy, or a real cup.

If I see a child run up to a boob I'm going to probably think it's weird, but then again I've nevr seen it so I don't really know.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• by 2 they dont need a bottle, a sippy cup is better. breasfeeding is different. so what if it looks silly.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Yeah, it looks silly IMO
    ErinRenee815

Answer by ErinRenee815 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• i got lucky and didnt need to use bottles for my little one after 4 months of age but he uses sippy cups still (2 1/2) I personally think it would be hard for me to see a 2 yr old still on a bottle and or breastfeeding. I quite bf ing after he turned 13 months.. and it wasnt easy but i told myself if he can ask for it then it's time to wean him.
    ARuss

Answer by ARuss at 7:59 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My sister in law still breastfeeds her 6, 5, 3 & 1 year olds, do I think it looks odd? Yes, especially when we will be in public and her 6 year old runs up to her and says "Mommy give me titty" and she whips it out. It doesn't matter to her who is around or where we are. It makes a very awkward situation. As for bottle feeding? I also think that's odd. If a 2 year old has a bottle at home for comfort that's fine but to run around in public with it is a little odd looking.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• IMHO yes it does look silly.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I was once over someone's house. She had a 3 year old who was running around, talking, playing etc. When I saw him tug on his her shirt and she lifted him up in baby position and start breast-feeding, I was a little shocked. I had heard about mom's who BF till age 5yrs, but to see it in person, I thought it looked weird. I also think it looks weird to have a bottle at 2. My son wouldn't drink milk out of a sippy cup, but would drink everything else out of one. We would let him have a bottle at bedtime, but I was very happy when he was completely weaned. I would never criticise anyone for doing either. To each their own.
    JGRIMMER

Answer by JGRIMMER at 8:24 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I think the reason many dont see them the same way is because a) the synthetic nipples CAN be hard on teeth. and b) typically people transition to sippys when they wean from formula, so when ppl see "bottle' they think "formula", and a 2 yo drinking fomula is a little odd as it isnt offering nutrituinal benifits to a toddler the way BM does.
    Having said that, who cares if people think it looks strange. Whatever. It's not their kid.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:30 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I think it does look a bit funny to see an older child with a bottle rather then an older child nursing. Call me a hypocrite or whatever. My nursing almost 3 year old drinks from a sippy cup most of the time, and even a regular cup, he just also happens to still nurse. If an older child is ONLY taking a bottle, they're not learning how to properly drink from a cup. IMO, they should be learning that.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 4, 2010