At what age do you think it would look funny to see a child breast feeding?

I actually saw a child that I knew to be in kindergarten go up to his mother, lift her shirt and begin drinking. She shrugged and said since she had the baby (which was a little over a year old) that the older one wanted to breast feed again too, and she didn't want him to be jealous. I actually felt that a kindergartner BFing in public (it was at a soccer tournament) did look funny.

This thought is not to bash anyone, I am honestly curious to see what others think. This was inspired by the "If it looks funny to see 2yo with a bottle does it look funny to see a 2yo breast feeding " thread. Please do not criticize anyone for their beliefs.

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 8:27 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Um if they can talk, its time to stop. LOL Sorry if anyone disagrees but I dont want my kid taking my clothes off in public.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 8:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• LOL The mom gave in? all older kids try to regress and be more like baby, thats natural.

I think it looks funny when the baby is not a baby anymore. LOL Like when it's a kid.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Too old
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 8:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• when they can ask for it. or try to demand it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Yes, she actually let him. I was standing there talking to her when it happened. I was stunned and didn't know what to say. When she saw the expression on my face, she shrugged and said "He's been doing this since the baby came. I don't want him to be jealous of her, so I figured, what's the harm". I still didn't know what to say.
    layh41407

Comment by layh41407 (original poster) at 8:40 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• If she didn't want to hurt his feelngs or not wanting him to be jealous by not allowing him to breastfeed , she is being totally nuts and letting her small child control her life when he has no idea and has no clue. A child doesn't know what is best. The adult, the Mom, is in charge. She needs to know that her child has to grow up and part of growing up is being told "No, you can't have everything you want and No, you can't always win..." Etc.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:48 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I would say 2 is a good age to start cutting it out... Quit by 3.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:50 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• To each his own. I might think it strange to see one 4 or older nursing. But I certainly wouldnt spend too much time dwelling on it.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Once they hit puberty, that might look a little weird. ;)
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 9:01 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• IMO it would look odd TO ME after about 3. Something about 3 year olds...they are much closer to children than babies in my mind. But I don't care if it looks odd to me as long as you and your child are happy and healthy.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 9:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2010