So I NEED to go back to school full-time and start working again.....BLEH :(

I have to go back to school, I took some time off, and take a full load in order to keep my health/dental/vision care. I'm not complaining because what a small price to pay to be educated and have great insurance but at the same time, I'm reluctant.

How do I get used to a class at 7am, when I currently work temp graveyard during the summer, I am going to find a new job, and then I need to find a part time job in between school and my SO's schedule?

Working moms, or moms who go to school and work, or have had this balancing act, PLEASE, offer some words of wisdom.

How do I adjust after being a SAHM, then to working graveyard, then to a day job with school? TIPS & ADVICE ARE NEEDED

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 8:28 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• You're a mom, you'll do what you have to do. You will need to give your body a few days to a week to adjust it's schedule to your new one, but once you're through that I'm sure you'll do fine. Remember that this is a sacrifice you'll have to make now to have a great future.

Sleep when you can, do just the basic necessities during the week and catch up on the weekends. Don't expect everything to be perfect. Get your SO to help out as much as possible. Give up outside activities if they interfere with your goals. Have a backup child care plan in case SO can't watch your child for some odd reason.

I worked full time while going to college full time and raising two young boys myself. I was gone from 7:30 a.m. until 9:30 p.m. three days a week and until 6:30 p.m. the other 2 days. My mother watched my kids after school for me. It was a huge sacrifice but it was worth it.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I have never been a SAHM, so I don't know how to adjust from that. But, I did go to graduate school full time while working full time. It is hard. I had to give up sleep and free time. I studied at night, on weekends, and during lunch at work. I think you will just need to set aside time you're going to study and stick to it. I found it easiest to study during my youngest child's naps and after both kids were in bed for the night. Also, I went to school two nights a week, so I went straight from work to school, and that gave me about an hour to study or work on projects each of those two nights.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 8:45 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I have never been a SAHM so cant give you advice about the transition, but I did work and go to school full time as a single mom.
    I wrote out my schedule on big poster board. Everything from what time I had to wake up and shower, breakfast, kids up, etc to when i got home, play time, dinner, homework, chores, etc.
    It really helped me to have it all written down and visible. I also programed the same schedule into my phone so the alarm would go off with every new activity. You have to put it in your mind that you can do it. My lunch breaks were spent studying, standing in line was studying. I had a lot of very very late nights and many nights with no sleep, but it is so rewarding in the end.
    If you ever want someone to chat with you can pm me. I went through highschool with 2 kids while working at night and college with 2 kids and working between classes.
    It can be done! Have faith in yourself.
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 8:46 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• The only job I was able to hold while attending school fulltime was a workstudy position through the college. The money you receive basically is from your financial aid (you have to be be eligible for it) but you'll receive a paycheck every two weeks. One other benefit from it is that food stamps and things like that don't count it as income, it's counted as financial aid. My FAVORITE part of it was the fact that it would work around my class schedule. I happened to work in financial aid as a work study and LOVED it! I actually miss it now that I'm doing classes purely online. If your interested, inquire your Financial Aid about it. I don't know if all schools do it, but my smaller sized one did.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 8:47 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Wow.

Ok, I was a single mom working full time and going to school part time. Do you have family to help? My family makes me crazier then crazy, (we seriously put the fun in dysfunctional) but we all pitch in when one of us needs help. I took two classes a semester at night school. I took them both on the same night, so my son was only without me for one night and one of my family would watch my son on the night I had class. I did my homework when he was asleep.

One thing--I was not worried about the 'perfect house'. I figured the dust bunnies would wait for me to get to them. They weren't going anywhere.

Good luck.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• AVON is a great home-based business. I am a stay-at-home mom and have two children. My husband and kids LOVE to help me! You can start for $20 when you sign up online. AVON sends you the books and a kit to get started. If you want to check out more information, you can go to http://www.start.avon.com/ and view the Frequently Asked Questions (with answers) and if you are ready to sign up, just enter reference code: marybecker and it will take you to the application to get started!

I personally have achieved Unit Leader and President's Club within my first year with AVON!
    AVONLadyInALEX

Answer by AVONLadyInALEX at 8:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• It is tough. You really have to find what works for YOU. I haven't ever worked FT while in school FT, but when I was commuting to nursing school, I did not have a lot of spare time. What I did was make free time into study time into "me time." During breaks between classes I would walk around the pond on campus and find a quiet, secluded spot to read chapters, write notes, do research, whatever. The rest of the students either sat together and chatted or left campus to go to the store or out to eat, but I was getting schoolwork out of the way, ALONE, and while I couldn't be spending time with my child anyway. I also took a few minutes of that walk to get some exercise and sun and just be quiet and think.

Also I had some online classes. I could wake up on the weekends and have my boyfriend keep our son in the living room while I did my online class stuff. I would watch the lecture once (sped up a little to go faster, I'm a...
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 9:07 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• ...fast reader and writer) and take notes, then I'd listen again closer to test day and take care of grooming business then, because I honestly didn't have much spare time...and when I did I wanted to play with my son. So once again I turned free time (in this case weekend mornings) into study time and then into me time by trimming my fingernails, dyeing my hair, and yes, even shaving my legs while re-listening to lectures.

I had a nice schedule going and, although it was hectic, I kept my grades up and I got to spend some quality time with my son.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 9:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2010