is the depo shot effective immediately after you receive it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Health

• no it takes a week, you still need to use a backup such as condoms
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• no i remember the doctor told me it can take a couple of weeks to kick in,that was like 5 years ago
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I have heard some not so positive things about the Depo (Depoprovera) shot. I'm not sure if I would go for that. Originally it was for girls who couldn't keep track of birth control pills, couldn't read the directions,etc. and it is kind of risky. Too many side effects,from what I have read. Are you sure you want to have a huge shot of hormones injected? Yikes. I would discuss it with a Doctor....Good luck!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• The nurse told me it takes a week.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My friend got the shot for her first time and got pregnant 6 weeks later. I hope that helps.
    ashlee31627

Answer by ashlee31627 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I was on the depo shot when I was 15 and the dr said it takes affect within 24hrs and I was on it for 2yrs and never got pregnant. I am now on it again and have been for the last 6 months after getting pregnant and losing 2 babies from the nuvaring last year. If you want to be safe you can wait a week but I didn't and haven't gotten pregnant again. GL
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 10:05 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My doctor never said one way or another. But I would really suggest against it. It is such a horrible form of birth control.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:31 AM on Jul. 5, 2010