would you take the vacation?

my dad has offered to pay for a vacation to the beach (lake erie). we live in ohio, so its not THAT far away (2 hours). he'd pay for the hotel, food, gas, etc. my only issue with it, is that i already live with him- for free and i dont work. i've been looking for a job, but there's none that really flexible with my class schedule and my dad wants me to just focus on school for now- which is why i havent gone down to pt or just quit for a qtr or 2.

i'd really like a weekend vacation, but at the same time, i dont feel like i deserve it since i'm not paying for it.

would you take the vacation, or politely decline until you were able to afford it yourself? (dad also gives me about $200/mon for gas, food, cell, etc)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Relationships

• Sometimes we do a kindness to a person to accept a generous gift. If it would please your dad, then do it., graciously and gladly.

Answer by Bmat at 9:15 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Tell him how you feel about it. Tell him just what you said, that he's done a lot for you, and right now your not contributing financially, and it's overwhelming to you to have him pay for a vacation on top of all that. If he insists, then I would...
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Think of it as an early Christmas gift. He wants you to have it. Make him happy and accept it.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• 1st: Go you for appreciating your father's generosity. 2nd, if your father going on this vacation too, does he perhaps want you to go so that he can enjoy your company? If so then you are doing him a favor. 3rd Express your gratitude for everything and then think of way you can thank him (it doesn't have to be financially, maybe you can help him out around house or there is a special project he needs help with.
    GL
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 9:22 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Yea. I imagine that if you were ungrateful, or lazy, he would be not as likely to offer. But clearly your dad sees that you could use a brekt, and he doesnt feel taken advantage of. It's something we hope our children grow up to be, and we hope we can offer them the kind of help that your dad is offering you. Take it and be thankful.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:25 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• It sounds like you have a great dad, if it were me I would accept his kind offer and go on the vacation. If you feel that you need to pay him back for his generosity in giving you a vacation you could always surprise him with a gift card to a favorite store of his, or maybe treat him to dinner out and a movie, or something that he would like.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:28 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I would take it. He is offering out of the kindness of his heart. You are looking and trying, it's not like you are laying about doing nothing all day. Let him help you and treat you.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 10:14 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Heck yeah! I'd go.
    anxiousschk

Answer by anxiousschk at 10:37 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I would take it, but I'd insist that dad go too!
    StellarJKD

Answer by StellarJKD at 12:38 AM on Jul. 5, 2010

• I see your point, but maybe he doesn't want you to get burned out. Or he may want a weekend in a quiet house lol! I think I would take it, once you finish school and get a good job you can return the favor!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 5, 2010