Have you used gentian violet to treat thrush?

Have you used gentian violet to treat thrush and how did you use it? Help!!!! We have been on nystatin for 1 month and Im ready to scream!!!! It gets better than worse. I am taking a probiotic and cutting out sugar. I would greatly appreciate advice from anyone who has EXPERIENCED this for themselves. I feel so bad for my son. I also just read that Grapefruit seed extract is helpful.

EmandMike

Asked by EmandMike at 9:14 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Health

• just dip a qtip in it and swab their mouth and your nipples with it. it turns everything purple though so be careful. it worked pretty well for us.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• yes it DOES turn everything purple! My nipples were so bad they were cracked, and where those cracks were stayed purple for months. it did work tho.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I didn't use it but the pediatriciam did recommend it to me once. He said it stains everything
    ashlee31627

Answer by ashlee31627 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Our pediatrician painted it on our son's tongue, but I never did it. It turned out that his white coated tongue was from formula. You might consider putting some probiotic in a bottle or cup for him. It sounds like you're nursing, but maybe you can find a way to get it into him.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• It does stain..but it does work. A little goes a very long way. Make sure to only dip the qtip once.. We did nystatin for a long time too and it was miserable. Our Pediatrician said to undress him to a diaper and undress me on top, The easiest way to do it was to dip a qtip in the violet and let the baby suck on it. It should spread all over his mouth. If not you will need to swab it so that it is. I was instructed to then nurse him on both sides. If both nipples weren't completely covered in purple to finish the job with a qtip. I wore the oldest bra I had for several days. Stains on the skin wear off both when it gets on fabric it's permanent. It does work..but I would only go there on last resort. I ruined my best sheets because I wasn't thinking. Good Luck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• It worked great for me. We used Nystatin twice with no results but the GV cleared it up like nothing. It is messy, but you can minimize the mess. I would swab my son's mouth and then nurse him, that way his mouth was being treated, my nipples were being treated and he wasn't drooling purple everywhere. I was told to use it once a day for 7 days. Wear an old bra and have your son in old clothes and bibs too. Maybe lay an old towel or blanket under him. I would use the GV again before anything else. Why waste money on Nystatin that only works 1/2 the time (according to my LC and pediatric nurses)?

So, yeah, dip a q-tip and swab baby's mouth, do not redip the q-tip or you just introduce the thrush into the bottle which defeats the purpose. Also sterilize anything that goes in baby's mouth like paci's, toys, nipples if you use bottles at all. Good luck.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• ok so I did it and my son looks like a smurf but other than that it was pretty easy. After what I have been through with the nystatin for the last month... this is a breeze! Thanks for the help ladies! XOXO
    EmandMike

Comment by EmandMike (original poster) at 11:56 PM on Jul. 4, 2010