Proper punishment for a climbing toddler?

My son is 15 months old and he has been climbing small stuff for a while, but here recently he has started climbing bigger things like the kitchen table and computer desk, toy boxes,dressers. I am so afraid he is going to get seriously hurt. I've tried time outs but it just doesn't work, I can put him back 50 times but when time out is over he will go straight back to whatever he was doing. What can I do to make him stop doing this?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We depend on baby gates and closed doors to keep our LO away from a lot of the stuff he climbs on. We use time-outs, but I'm not sure how well he "gets" it (he is almost two). Distraction is a good strategy. Just today my son climbed up into his high chair. Maybe it was mom instinct, but I had to quickly get my 5 yr old off my lap, which made her cry, and ran over there. He started falling before I got to him, and I was only able to stop his fall just before he would have hit head first on the hard wood floor. He was crying because it scared him and he got scraped on the high chair on his way down. It could have been so much worse! The chair got moved immediately.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Distract him with something else after you have told him no. That's what we do with our kids when they start climbing. Explain to them why as well....like "your going to fall and go boom" and make a sad face, and then say, "lets go play with the ____"
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• He's seeking sensory input. Get him a small trampoline or one of the balls with the handles for him to bounce on. You can also try making the "no" sign ( the red circle with a slash) and taping it to things he's not supposed to climb on.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:33 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Distraction is a good method. Time out may just reinforce the behavior, so try bringing something else, something fun, in place of the climbing.

Answer by Bmat at 9:41 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• 15 months is way too young for time outs. He won't make the connection that time out is for the climbing. You need to redirect him from the climbing to a activity you do approve of. You tell him why no climbing. Don't just say no over and over. Tell him why. And the most important thing to do is toddler proof EVERYTHING that you can. I have a climber. He turned 2 in April, but his climbing started around 14 months. He climbed up his chest of drawers one dat and it fell over on him. So, we too the chest of drawers out of his room. If it is something that he can get hurt on and it is not a necessity, then we got rid of it. To keep him from climbing in the kitchen where the tile is super hard, we put up a baby gate were he can't even get in the kitchen. I have a toddler proof knob cover on the door to my room so he can't climb on my furniture.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:31 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• give him something that he is allowed to climb on. every time he climbs on something he is not allowed to, bring him to the thing he is allowed to. you dont want to put your baby in time out all day! gl!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 9:53 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• there is no punishment that will work with a toddler because they don't realize what they are being punished for. my 18 month old will go straight back to what he was getting into. The best thing you can do is play a lot with him, keep him busy and distracted. spanking definitely doesn't work and they will just feel like they're being hit for no reason
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 5, 2010

• With the things we don't want our children on, like the table or computer desk, we eventually had to yell NO climbing the table and smack his leg after removing him. Do they get it? IDK But the climbing has become limited to the things allowed.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:32 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• He has one the balls with the handles on it already, he carries it around and plays with it but he wont really bounce on it, He also has a small step 2 slide in the house, I thought that might help, but it doesn't. He does play with it but he always goes back to the table and desk.
    BlainesMommy09

Comment by BlainesMommy09 (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Time out.
    ashlee31627

Answer by ashlee31627 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2010