what age is to ypoung to teach a baby no?

My daughter is 8 months old and I'm already teaching no. Specially if she is trying to put something in her mouth.

crazymom21

Asked by crazymom21 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've been saying no to DS since about 6 months old, I really don't know when they start to understand but I guess they are never too young to try and tell them what is something they shouldn't be doing to hurt themselves or what not.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 9:38 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• i would say that is a good start, the earlier the better, just realize she may not recognize no right now and shouldn't necessarily be punished bc she isn't responding
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Our second is about 9 months and we have been saying it since he has been crawling and standing at things. They understand!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:39 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I've always said no to my kids, from the time they could do anything that I didn't want them to do. I don't remember a specific age, but be sure your telling them yes as well and praising for the stuff they do well ! xoox
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• My son knew no by 9 months
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I have been telling my children "NO' since they started doing something I wanted them to learn not to do! With my second born that was within weeks of birth. He would get SO angry and I would tell him, "NO, calm down. Don't get angry." By the time I told him NO for touching things or grabbing things (6-8 months) he knew exactly what it meant!! You can start at any age and they will soon pick up on what the word means!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:43 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• They're never too young to start learning no!
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 9:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• never too young, but babies explore their world with their mouths. It is how they learn. Mainly try to keep the dangerous things out of grasp and let her learn and the wondrous new world she is living in.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• She has no clue what you are saying. The word "no" is abstract to her and it means nothing. She responds to your actions not your words

Answer by admckenzie at 10:02 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I would never punish her at this age except when she bites then its just me putting her down.
    crazymom21

Comment by crazymom21 (original poster) at 10:06 PM on Jul. 4, 2010