For those who have been medicated for PPD....

What were your symptoms? What were you prescribed? How long were you on your medication? Once you were off meds, how did you feel...unmedicated?
Any other advice or things you've learned as a result of your PPD? Anything you would have done differently?

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Health

• I was given Zoloft. I have a 22 month old and a 9 month. Should have taken it with the first but didn't. With the second I did. I also breast feed for a few months with both, that was why I didn't with the first but just had to with the next. Why.....I just cried constantly. I would cry when I peed, cry at dinner. It was horrible. I don't wish that drop of hormones on anyone!!!! I lived 1000 miles away from family, not sure if that made it worse, or if that was just the trigger. Sure if I lived around home there would have been some other trigger LOL There really isn't much you can do different. It is just your hormones bottoming out. Then it takes a LONG time for them to get back to normal. So if you are really bad, take the meds, it will help and isn't forever. BTW, I still take it, cause life as a stay at home mom, with a hubby gone a lot for work isn't all peaches and cream.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:51 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I had PPP (Psychosis) and it was pretty scary. I knew what to look for so I caught it very early but I was having hilucinations (spelled way wrong) of throwing my kids out of the upstairs window and blaming them for it. I was having strong impulses to throw my newborn down or across the room and other crazy things. The last I had was to shove my middle child into the oven and turn it all the way up. Yeah...VERY scary. I took myself to the doc and they put me on Zolof (sp?). I had to have 24 hour care for me and the kids for 2-4 weeks. I ended up taking myself off of the meds due to it putting me into such a deep depression I was scared I was going to kill myself. I maintained total honest communication with my husband, family and doctor so that everyone knew what was going on and through prayer and me standing in the authority of Jesus Christ over this (I fully believe this to really be a severe demonic oppression)...
    MyBelovedOnes

Answer by MyBelovedOnes at 10:23 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I over came and have not had any other issues. I still deal with suicidal thoughts but they are not "real" but just oppressiveness. I still stay in total communication with my husband about any mental issues and we just don't let it control our lives. It is real. It is serious. But, it can be over come. Write if you ever need to talk more.
    MyBelovedOnes

Answer by MyBelovedOnes at 10:24 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• MyBelovedOnes, Good for you for having the courage to tell someone those horrible thoughts you were having! That was brave.

I've battled depression my whole life. My mom had me put on antidepressants at 14 yr old. I tried more than I can count: Prozac, Zoloft, Welbutrin, Desipermine, Efexor, Lexipro, and many more. All of them gave me terrible side effects and changed my personality considerably. I learned how to cope with my depression through exercise, my faith in God, and eating a healthy diet.

When I had PPD with all 3 of my kids, I told my husband and dr what I was feeling so that I wasn't keeping any deep dark secrets and just coped with it as best I could and without meds. The meds seem to help some women, but after trying them for 5 years during my teen years, I just never want to take those meds again.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:43 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• thanks for all the great input! I really appreciate your opinions and expiriences!
    CAGirl4

Comment by CAGirl4 (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Jul. 5, 2010