How do you manage all the baby stuff when you are flying?

We are planning a quick weekend trip to surprise my grandfather for his 80th birthday. I am trying to start planning things out and I can't figure out how to bring the baby stuff with us. Last time we flew with an infant I was able to bring the travel packs of formula. This little guy is on a specialty formula. Can I put a whole container in my carry-on? We aren't checking any luggage. I tried to call and ask and the person I talked to was very no helpful and just informed me to check the website. The website said you could bring it within certain restrictions but didn't list any restrictions.
So basically, the question is, can I bring a whole container of formula in a carry-on bag? Also, can full size prescription bottle be brought on even if they are bigger than the 3oz limit? Any other tips for bringing all the goodies needed for a weekend trip for baby?

mupt02

Asked by mupt02 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not sure about the prescription, but as for the formula, I found that if it was a container that was NOT OPENED you were ok to bring it with you in your carry on.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• I always took powdered formula, just incase, cause you never know. Plus prepared bottles. I never had any problems. I can tell you this, every airline we ever flew, the stroller, diaper bag, car seat....were not chargable carry on items. They were free. We were never charged for the pac and play as a stow away, or whatever the term would be either. Pretty much any baby item is "free" when traveling. Typically they check the formula to make sure it isn't....unsafe. I can't think of the proper term now, but they just check the bottles with some thing above them to detect there isn't anything dangerous in them. You should have no problem with necessary baby items, even bottled water in my diaper bag was allowed.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• You are allowed a reasonable amount of formula, juice, etc. for a baby. I would just make the bottles up ahead of time and only bring what you know you'll need for the flight plus one (just in case something happens to your checked luggage on the other end). If they give you trouble about it (which they did to me when I was 7 mo. pregnant and traveling with a baby) speak up...ask to talk to a supervisor, etc. because you are allowed.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• With the meds, I would recommend getting a small labled bottle, 3 ounce size and putting enough in it to last 2 days longer than you would need it. That's what the airline told me to do when I flew last year. I needed two bottles, but the pharmacy gave them to me. Just call and ask for empty, labled 3 oz bottles for a flight.
    You can carry on a "reasonable amount" of unopened liquid formula and juice for a child under 2, anything older than that, you can NOT have any drinks, they must be purchased after the security check.
    This is how it was last year.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:17 PM on Jul. 4, 2010