hives

My daughter is 13 months. The last 10 days or so we've noticed that she's been getting hives. We can't connect it to a food or milk she hasn't tried anything new. We haven't noticed that she's come in contact with anything either. We have the same detergent. They are sporatic and in different spots. She'll have one on the back of her leg and then 10 minutes later she'll have another on her hand or face and the original one will be fading. We were thinking maybe it's when she gets mad or hot? I'm going to call the dr in the morning (or Tuesday if they are closed) I don't think it's urgent. It doesn't seem to bother her. Also thinking maybe because of teething? Any answers????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Jul. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It maybe heat rash
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 9:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Could be the heat rash thing. Do you live in an area where they are farming hay? It's hay season time here, in NW Pennsylvania and just all around miserable. My guess would be it is an environmental allergy. Good luck!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:00 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• honestly, she could also be developing an allergy to something. My mom used the same detergent for years and one day, my sister developed an allergy to it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:09 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• You can get hives from any number of things. Heat, sweat, stress, ear infections and even tickling (too much pressure on the skin).

I have Cholinergic Urticaria (hives from stress and/or heat) and it gets awful this type of year.

This is a really great webpage for explaining types of hives: http://www.drgreene.com/azguide/hives
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:13 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• my kids get red spots all over thier face when they're crying hard. I have a friend whose grandson gets hives when he's stressed/nervous.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• Take her to an allergist. If it really is hives and not a heat rash, then it is serious. Hives indicates a severe allergic reaction and it is most likely to a food. I broke out in hives off and on my whole childhood. My mom was kind of flakey and never did much about it. As a grown woman I went to an allergist and was tested and came back positive to a lot of foods and environmental allergens. I now take shots once a week. I'm lucky that I never died from one of my food allergies since I was eating stuff I was allergic to weekly for 2.5 decades. I feel so much better now that I don't eat foods I'm allergic to. It's really made a huge difference in my quality of life.

The only way to know what is causing your child's hives is to have allergy testing done.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:26 PM on Jul. 4, 2010

• my niece gets them when she is upset.
    it still could be a food or detergent, even if it is something you have been using her whole life :(
    i do believe the heat can do it too! i am glad they go away!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 5, 2010